Ruckus WIFI-6E AP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Thanks. Seems like we will need poe++ to drive these new APs (not to mention upgrading clients to wifi-6E compatible hardware).

Everything changes except the wiring. May not be a simple upgrade path.

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
FWIW, it looks like the Ruckus R760 w/ 6E went through the FCC last month. I don't see a formal announcement, but there are references to it on their support website and I see a few random prices on various vendors. So it's getting close.

Reactions: zack$

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
MSRP $2395 seems a bit steep. What's so special that warrants a 10X price over an Engenius EWS377APv3 WiFi 6 enterprise AP?

CDW site shows availability in 4-6 weeks for $1430

Provantage has is listed for $1665

Last edited:

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Just checked the specs....doesn't look like it will get unleashed, what a bummer.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Just checked the specs....doesn't look like it will get unleashed, what a bummer.
This is pretty normal. Ruckus released their new APs with SZ and ZD support, then you waited for the next major version of Unleashed to see if you got lucky and received Unleashed support. Mostly you got lucky, unless you were an R700 or R730 owner.

I'm a bit surprised at how quickly they've shunned ZoneDirector. ZD1200 has 4 more months until it goes EOS, but the R760 datasheet mentions only SZ & Cloud.

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Humm, how does Engenius compare to Ruckus? My R650 is great in terms of reliability and range, but the speeds are pretty meh even when nearby. I realize it's setup for reliability/lots of users, but topping out at 400Mbps is about half of what I would hope for.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Humm, how does Engenius compare to Ruckus? My R650 is great in terms of reliability and range, but the speeds are pretty meh even when nearby. I realize it's setup for reliability/lots of users, but topping out at 400Mbps is about half of what I would hope for.
Something's not right there.

I get ~1Gbps from both my R650s to an Xperia ax phone. And >800Mbps to ac clients.

Assuming you already used something like WiFiAnalyzer to verify you're on 5Ghz & your channel is nice and wide (80 or 160Mhz)... Various Unleashed releases have had a 'slow download' issue which I've fixed in the past by choosing 'optimize for compatibility' in the admin > country code settings (which disables non-dfs channels).

It's worth changing this to check you're not being impacted by the issue.

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
Sounds strange I have no problems maxing out a 500'mbit wan connection on a phone or tablet with both r510 and r710.

Comparing with a unifi ap ac hd, I get better speeds with ruckus both close range and through walls.

20220503_154723.jpg

You should review your settings for the ap and the wireless network.

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Well I don't get speeds near that fast on my LG Gram, Thinkbook 16P, and Samsung S22 Ultra even nearby. I have my setting as "optimize for compatibility" already. Everything wireless channel wise is set to auto but my Samsung S22 with wifi analyzer shows 80mhz bandwidth. Weeks ago I tried manually changing channels, but it didn't help. There are not many 5ghz networks near my house.

Even 2.4ghz speeds are pretty lackluster as well. Really I didn't gain anything speed wise going from an R720 to the R650.

Sadly I'm not sure what settings would really effect the speeds.

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
I'm not that familiar with the ZD or SZ, but I guess if you post your settings with a screenshot someone should be able to
tell. Test and see if it is different if you set the transaction power to "Full" (that is a setting in unleashed at least).
Disable 802.11D support, also try with and without WiFi 6.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the settings won't full kick in until you reboot the AP. I would create a separate WLAN that you test these setting on.

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
I actually use the Unleashed firmware. I don't have much specified for settings, here is what Ruckus thinks is best:
Wifi-Settings.png

Here is my 5GHz speed in the same room as the AP (my desktop has a 10gb connection and gets 1.7Gbps down):
5GHz speed.png

Not sure if it's something as simple as having the AP on a 1gb port? My brocade switch doesn't do 2.5gb, and the R650 doesn't do LAGG.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
20mhz will get you poor 2.4ghz speeds. If you have rooms which you're needing 2.4ghz to reach then use WiFiAnalyzer to figure out which AP is reaching that room & set its 2.4ghz channelization to 40mhz.

80mhz will only get single stream clients (like most phones) 433mbps on ac or 600mbps on ax, so set your channelization to 160mhz.

But I guess at least one of those laptops has 2 or 3 stream wifi cards, so they should already be seeing >800mbps.

What do you see from WifiAnalyzer on your phone? (Go into developer options settings on your phone and turn off wifi scan throttling). Ideally the SSID you're using should be 160Mhz, and in the same room as the AP you should see maybe 1080 or 1200mbps connection.

If the wireless phy connection looks good and fast then you can look at the rest of your network.

If you have more than one AP make sure they're all root APs and not using wireless meshing.

If it's convenient, plug a device into the AP's 2nd port so you can see if there are any non-radio problems. And if this still has terrible throughput, plug directly into the AP's cable to see whether the problem is unrelated to the AP.

Reactions: custom90gt

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
20mhz will get you poor 2.4ghz speeds. If you have rooms which you're needing 2.4ghz to reach then use WiFiAnalyzer to figure out which AP is reaching that room & set its 2.4ghz channelization to 40mhz.

80mhz will only get single stream clients (like most phones) 433mbps on ac or 600mbps on ax, so set your channelization to 160mhz.

But I guess at least one of those laptops has 2 or 3 stream wifi cards, so they should already be seeing >800mbps.

What do you see from WifiAnalyzer on your phone? (Go into developer options settings on your phone and turn off wifi scan throttling). Ideally the SSID you're using should be 160Mhz, and in the same room as the AP you should see maybe 1080 or 1200mbps connection.

If the wireless phy connection looks good and fast then you can look at the rest of your network.

If you have more than one AP make sure they're all root APs and not using wireless meshing.

If it's convenient, plug a device into the AP's 2nd port so you can see if there are any non-radio problems. And if this still has terrible throughput, plug directly into the AP's cable to see whether the problem is unrelated to the AP.
I appreciate all of the help, I will try 40Mhz channel width on the 2.4ghz spectrum, however I do not see the ability to set channel width to 160mhz on the 5.0ghz band. The laptop has a 2 stream wifi card so I was expecting better. Good idea on trying the wired pass-through to see if there are any issues there. It's the only AP in the house.

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
Humm, how does Engenius compare to Ruckus?
I don't own a Ruckus for a comparison, but I pay for 300 symmetric and exceed that sitting on my couch, 20 feet away, through a 2 foot wide truss floor, covered in hardwood over a layer of fire retardant cement. AP is horizontal, facing up, on top of a wire rack on the first floor. Second AP is horizontal, facing down, under a bedside table on the third floor. Engenius EWS377APv3 is the best bang for the $, IMHO.

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.11.44 AM.png

Reactions: custom90gt

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Well I just spent a couple of hours troubleshooting this and still cannot figure it out.

I did set my 2.4ghz to 40mhz and it is faster. After setting the AP in "optimize for performance" I was able to set the 5gz in 160mhz and it's faster, but tops out at 600mbps on multiple AX devices. The only problem with that is now my 2.4ghz download speed seems to have an issue and is slower.

So now I'm back on "optimize for compatibility" and the 5ghz band is limited to 80mhz width.

I did plug into the extra port on the AP and my desktop will get 900mbps down through that port (for comparison it gets 1.7gbps on the 10gb connection).

So I'm pretty much at a loss. I love the reliability of the AP and the range, but I'm less than impressed with the performance.

I had been pondering getting a switch that has 10gb and 2.5gb ports (something like the QNAP QSW-2104-2T) so I can have my AP on 2.5gb, but that seems like a lot of money for limited benefit.