Ruckus Unleashed R750 (NEW) US$750

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
As I read with specs with R750, R720, and R710, and found the power requirement for R720 is quite high, the 2nd Eth and USB won't work with PoE+ (as shown in the chart below). Does anyone can confirm with this? Thanks.

1591985945960.png

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
@mmo
I noticed the same when I was looking at the R710 R720 and R750 to make a decision.

As you can see in the product specs white papers, depending on the model there are some restrictions when using different power modes.

The R710 seems to be pretty much fully functional, The R720 is fully functional other than the ethernet and usb and it has reduced radio power
The R750 has some functionality lost without the higher power input.

I would not want to run a R750 without everything enabled, but the R710 and R720 I would be fine running on PoE+ especially given my small coverage area and fact I am going to have two of them.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
@ViciousXUSMC
Agreed, R710 is more than enough for home usage/coverage. I think the 2.5gbe on R720 needs more power to have fully functionality. This might be a good point for anyone considering to upgrade their AP.

1591994169078.png

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
I'm in a similar situation, looking to buy an R710, I've replaced my three unifi ap ac pro, and gotten rid of two unifi flex mini switches ( which is the last ubi gear I have, except for some unifi protect cameras). Running two r510 which are delivering more consistent speeds for both 2.4 and 5g. My ap ac pro can during the right circumstances deliver higher 5g speed, but most often the r510 is outperforming it.

Used to run full unifi setup, now I'm using enterprise stuff as far as I can. Can't help to feel sorry for people buying udms and udm pros.

/S

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I'm in a similar situation, looking to buy an R710, I've replaced my three unifi ap ac pro, and gotten rid of two unifi flex mini switches ( which is the last ubi gear I have, except for some unifi protect cameras). Running two r510 which are delivering more consistent speeds for both 2.4 and 5g. My ap ac pro can during the right circumstances deliver higher 5g speed, but most often the r510 is outperforming it.

Used to run full unifi setup, now I'm using enterprise stuff as far as I can. Can't help to feel sorry for people buying udms and udm pros.

/S
Such a similar circumstance.

;)

Ubi lures you in wich cheap and pretty great AP's but really starts hitting the wallet when you want to get switches and a USG to get the maximum benefit. As your a member of this site you know all the DIRT CHEAP enterprise switches we can buy that are 10x better than the Ubi stuff for 1/5 the cost... AP's cost more, but yeah its nice to not rely on any specific "environment" to get the most of them, and in the case of Ruckus Unleashed vs Unifi its nice to not need a cloud key or a server to run everything.

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
On topic for prospective buyers, I think - does anyone know if you can mix/match Ruckus AP models to extend wireless networks? For example, deploying an R750 to extend an existing R720 - or specific to my crazy idea involving an attic installation, is the T710S compatible with the R720?

Ruckus customer service completely failed me on this one - I opened a case asking the question, it was promptly closed with the comment that I can order Ruckus products online at their web portal, and thank you for being a Ruckus customer. :rolleyes:

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
On topic for prospective buyers, I think - does anyone know if you can mix/match Ruckus AP models to extend wireless networks? For example, deploying an R750 to extend an existing R720 - or specific to my crazy idea involving an attic installation, is the T710S compatible with the R720?

Ruckus customer service completely failed me on this one - I opened a case asking the question, it was promptly closed with the comment that I can order Ruckus products online at their web portal, and thank you for being a Ruckus customer. :rolleyes:
You definitely can mix/match with different models as you can seen the screenshot below from the video. but I am not sure if it will work mixing wave 1 and 2 with different firmware since wave 1 is discontinued with firmware 200.7 and wave 2 can be upgraded to 200.8

1592002396225.png

Attachments

Reactions: blinkenlights

klui

Feb 3, 2019
On topic for prospective buyers, I think - does anyone know if you can mix/match Ruckus AP models to extend wireless networks?
Yes you can. In fact the thread about wave 2 issues has an individual asking that exact question.

I have an R600 and R510 running seemlessly. The only limitation is you can only install the lowest version of the firmware compatible across all devices. If I install 200.8 on my R510 and it is the master the R600 won't be able to join the Unleashed network. I'm fine with that and both devices are running 200.7. I have not tried to see what happens if the R600 is the master.

jahsoul

Dec 13, 2013
War Eagle Country
@ViciousXUSMC
Agreed, R710 is more than enough for home usage/coverage. I think the 2.5gbe on R720 needs more power to have fully functionality. This might be a good point for anyone considering to upgrade their AP.

View attachment 14503
This is the same reason I have 6 Cisco AP4800 just hanging out in my closet. Thankfully, I had a spare AP3802 that I was hanging around because I would have been without a fully functional wifi. Once I move, I'm probably going to invest in a small multi-gig switch with the higher POE ports to work next to the Mellanox switch I'm prepping.

Jul 14, 2017
Is anyone actually using the WiFi6 (ax) capabilities on these?

I'm seeing the R750s for significantly cheaper (the provantage link still works and is actually cheaper at $737) than say the R650s and I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the 6Ghz WiFi 6E that just got approved. Albeit, products supporting it won't be out until at least the end of the year and who knows when client device support will be widespread.

I had my last AP for like 6 yrs, so I like future proofing things as much as possible and even at the prices the R750 seems to be going for, it's still a significant chunk of change.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I replaced all the wireless cards in my ThinkPads to the AX200 cards on eBay for ~$20. Huge speed boost, even on WiFi 5 APs. I would suggest you "just" do this, against an R710.

Yes, I have these devices connected to my R750 using WPA3 and 802.11ax. Latest firmware supports 160MHz channels so I can ruin ALL the RF space around me. For questionable benefit.

I don't think an R750 is worth it right now:
a) It doesn't support LACP and so requires 2.5Gbps POH switch
b) You get a significant client speed improvement just with AX card upgrades, which is far cheaper than this AP.

Jul 14, 2017
I replaced all the wireless cards in my ThinkPads to the AX200 cards on eBay for ~$20. Huge speed boost, even on WiFi 5 APs. I would suggest you "just" do this, against an R710.

Yes, I have these devices connected to my R750 using WPA3 and 802.11ax. Latest firmware supports 160MHz channels so I can ruin ALL the RF space around me. For questionable benefit.

b) You get a significant client speed improvement just with AX card upgrades, which is far cheaper than this AP.
I currently have no WiFi6 (ax) devices, but will probably be upgrading to a laptop with it sometime in the next 6mo to a year and my next phone will almost certainly have it. However the prices on the R750 seem to be significantly lower than anything else with Wifi 6(ax) capability from them. So it seems worth looking at on that basis.

LCAP is something that is in all probability, at most marginally useful to me. I would be using an AC adaptor for the power and a switch with a 2.5Gbps port is not something that will be problematic.

If it's worth it at all is a better question, but new shiny...

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
Is anyone actually using the WiFi6 (ax) capabilities on these?

I'm seeing the R750s for significantly cheaper (the provantage link still works and is actually cheaper at $737) than say the R650s and I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the 6Ghz WiFi 6E that just got approved. Albeit, products supporting it won't be out until at least the end of the year and who knows when client device support will be widespread.

I had my last AP for like 6 yrs, so I like future proofing things as much as possible and even at the prices the R750 seems to be going for, it's still a significant chunk of change.
Unless you have a small house and limited number of clients, I think you will find that two -ac APs spreading the load and improving coverage to be more beneficial than one high-end AP supporting brand new standards (even for the next 6 years). The more radios, the more efficient use of the RF environment, the better the user experience.

bleomycin

Nov 22, 2014

As a possible buyer of 3 R750's for my home I'm very curious about your experience with yours? Have you done any iperf testing with various clients and channel widths? Does the magical ruckus secret sauce seem to translate into better real world performance? I'm comparing these to much cheaper Engenius EWS377AP's (they don't support 160mhz so i'm assuming they are an older chipset than the ruckus).

Pretty much the only reason I can see to justify the ruckus is if their auto-tuning for power/channels and other magical secret sauce actually works and provides a benefit in a somewhat contested environment? If I have to pretty much just set everything manually like any other AP the value proposition seems to go out the window at least for me.

koifish59

Sep 30, 2020
I found plenty here for slightly cheaper, at $695 shipped, new:

And excuse my ignorance, but is there any reason to go with 8x8 MU-MIMO (R730 or R850) over this 4x4 R750? No user device has more than 4 antennas so getting anything more than 4x4 for home use is a waste. From how I understand it, 8x8 is actually 2 bands of 5ghz at 4x4 each, and that's way overkill for these AP at home?

Also, what's the difference between R730 and R850? They're both 802.11ax, 5ghz 8x8, and have 5GbE ports.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
As far as I can find, the R730 is based on a draft spec; the 750 is using the finalized spec? Not sure of the 850.

Jul 14, 2017
I found this when I was looking at the ruckus AX AP.

Short answer, the R730 will probably never have a full AX implementation. You seem to need a rX50 model for that.

So, the 850 is basically the replacement for 730, not the 750.

Can't really comment as to performance on a 730 vs 850/750, but the 750 had about x3 the performance wt my AC (wifi5) phone that the R600 had, but the R600 is a much older model. I don't have any AX devices to check that end of things.

Wifi 6 (AX) does support up to 8 antennas, but I'm fairly certain that it is only going to be an advantage for multiple devices, not something that improves throughput on a single device. Most don't even seem to have 4 antennas, never mind 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: koifish59

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I currently run 3*r730's with a 7650-48zp with 5gbps backhauls - its total overkill. Unless you have significant device numbers stick with the r720 or r750 as budget allows. The r850 is a fully certified OFDMA capable AP, the r730 doesnt have transit OFDMA which at the moment isn't a big deal, but likely will be at some point. Edit: The r730 doesnt support Unleashed, its Smartzone only.