Ruckus Unleashed R750 (NEW) US$750

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US

9U1-R750-US00 US$750 + tax + ship.

I don't see better public pricing anywhere else. Used units on eBay are going for more than this.

Edit: I should add that I bought one at this price earlier, and it just arrived today. So they're shipping at this price :)
Edit2: I see the Ruckus R850 is now available, so perhaps this is a price adjustment for the R750.

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Nice find! I need to look at provantage more often for deals like this--even if they are special order. The HP server deal they had was also special order but people got theirs too.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Crap, I just got a R720 last month :confused:
Well that's the US version anyway or is that not an issue for you?
Not sure how stringently this is handled nowadays - Haven't seen a 'Peilwagen' in ages;)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Well that's the US version anyway or is that not an issue for you?
When you reset them you have to choose the location (=frequencies being used), these aps being "us" versions is not a problem.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
That's my understanding, yes.

Also there is an option in the settings to change the country code:
1591435784977.png

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
That screenshot is from an US00 model? Unleashed or ZD/SZ joined?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Wow...

Looked through unleashed settings/information and couldn't find any information, took it off the ceiling and it's a WW version according to the label on the bottom.

Now I have to google more about it because the first google results say that's illegal to sell non-us aps in the US and I got mine from a seller in the US...

Sorry @Rand__ !

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
All good, just as expected :)
Would have been great (waaaay cheaper to use US version) but unless we confirm it working its safer to assume its not...

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019

9U1-R750-US00 US$750 + tax + ship.

I don't see better public pricing anywhere else. Used units on eBay are going for more than this.

Edit: I should add that I bought one at this price earlier, and it just arrived today. So they're shipping at this price :)
Edit2: I see the Ruckus R850 is now available, so perhaps this is a price adjustment for the R750.
Adding support for this great deal. I might have to seriously think about upgrading from my R720 at this price. Also, I think this is just their discounting at work - the R850 is available from them for 30% off list.

EDIT: Eh, never mind replacing my R720 with the R750. @i386 this comparison between R7xx models might make you feel better about your R720: Indoor Wi-Fi Access Points | CommScope

It's still a great deal if you are shopping new, but it looks like the biggest difference compared to the R720 is Wi-Fi 6 (ax) support. With legacy clients to support, I think I would benefit more from an 8x8:8 model like the R730.

Last edited:

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I traded in my Ubiquiti stuff a while back for two R600's and I have seen a much faster and more stable environment since (this is for home)
While this is costly, I cant argue its a good deal for what it is and it has the Unleashed which is a must for me.

My big worry is I do not have any infrastructure to support the 2.5gb ethernet and I wonder how much I really lose by only running a 1gb backhaul to my switch.

With that said I just looked up the R720 on ebay and for about $400 I would have to imagine the price vs performance ratio of the R720 would be a better deal, and I could get two of them to keep my setup where I have one AP in front and one AP in back of the house (as with my personal testing having an AP closer for less congestion and stronger signal resulted in faster speeds than a technically faster AP running by itself)

I do not know if I even have a single 802.11AX device right now so other than the new AX standard, is there much difference between the R720 and R750?

I recently got an Oculus Quest and was trying to do wireless PCVR streaming and I do not think the R600 is my weak link, but would like to upgrade anyways the R600 is definitely starting to age and I liked the advertisement of Zigbee and other tech being built into the R750 (I assume also in the R720)

Even the R610, R650, and R710 look appealing I am not quite sure the direction to take. I do not need to be over dramatic and future proof as the new tech will just get cheaper and better by the time I need it.

I am not super fond of AP's that cripple 2.4ghz and focus on 5ghz as I have so many legacy 2.4ghz devices like wireless IP cameras.

Last edited:

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
With that said I just looked up the R720 on ebay and for about $400 I would have to imagine the price vs performance ratio of the R720 would be a better deal, and I could get two of them to keep my setup where I have one AP in front and one AP in back of the house (as with my personal testing having an AP closer for less congestion and stronger signal resulted in faster speeds than a technically faster AP running by itself)
I'm curious here - how have you configured your existing two R600s to work together? Just using the built-in mesh feature?

I do not know if I even have a single 802.11AX device right now so other than the new AX standard, is there much difference between the R720 and R750?
No, and that is the conclusion I reached - not enough of a difference for home use to justify the upgrade cost. Improving coverage with an 8x8:8 unit - yes, maybe. I actually think another R720 unit would achieve what I am looking for, as long as the mesh function is robust.

I recently got an Oculus Quest and was trying to do wireless PCVR streaming and I do not think the R600 is my weak link, but would like to upgrade anyways the R600 is definitely starting to age and I liked the advertisement of Zigbee and other tech being built into the R750 (I assume also in the R720)
Hmm... not sure the R720 supports Zigbee.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
1591802670980.png

You can extend it with the IOT Kit (same as the R710). R730+ already includes it.

Problem is - you need the IOT suite :(

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
@blinkenlights

Using Unleashed and a master/slave setup everything just seems to sort itself.
I find I have better load balancing than I did with my dual Ubiquiti setup.

If I reboot the AP's for a firmware update or something. The unit that comes up first will end up with a heavier client load, but if I go back and check after a while, be it my devices or the AP and its management I find that I have a very even client load and every device is connected to the best AP.

Now I have one in the front of the house and one in the back so the signal strength for one AP should be better than the other for any given device, but when I was researching these devices they support "cluster mode" where you can literally put two ap's right next to each other (or more) and they are supposed to be intelligent enough to distribute the client load between them.

I am not sure however is that is a feature of the AP management (Zone Director) that is not part of Unleashed.

But, going back to a major point I had. I used Iperf to do life bandwidth testing between my Ubiquiti AP's and the Ruckus AP's using a laptop and cell phone and watched how the bandwidth degraded with distance (signal strength) and found having a technically slower AP with stronger signal resulted in better connection and bandwidth than a lower signal strength from a faster AP further away.

So I think having two cheaper AP's spaced out in an average home will be more beneficial than a single faster AP even if that one AP can easily reach all your devices. Additional benefits, equipment failure does not mean critical down, and rolling updates means no downtime to devices.

In summary I think two R720 would be better for just about anybody than a single R750 given similar pricing total, and in my case where I have no 2.5gb back-haul I also get better distribution of upstream traffic via standard 1gb connections assuming I do not need to break that 1gb speed barrier for any single device, and I hope not because that device should be hardwired with a 10gb NIC :)

Last edited:
Reactions: blinkenlights

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
@blinkenlights
So I think having two cheaper AP's spaced out in an average home will be more beneficial than a single faster AP even if that one AP can easily reach all your devices. Additional benefits, equipment failure does not mean critical down, and rolling updates means no downtime to devices.
You might want to try a single R720 to see how it works for you. I've been accused of having a "big" house, about 3,500 sq.ft. above ground (5,000 sq.ft. finished). I have a single R720 in the basement, next to an exposed I-beam, and it provides good coverage throughout the entire house. I might try another R720 (or outdoor rated equivalent) in the attic, but that's just to improve coverage outside of the house :)

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Oh crap I have gone down the rabbit hole now lol.
Decided I would rather two R720 than one R750 for similar price based on about $400 on ebay for a R720.

But then found R710 for only $300 and as far as I can tell the only difference between a R710 and R720 is 1 spatial stream for SU-MIMO 160MHz channelization and two 1gb ports instead of the 1gb + 2.5gb port.

I have a seller willing to sell 2x R710 for $550 ($275 each) Open box with all accessories. I think I can't argue with that logic.

@blinkenlights
My home is not very big and one AP center mounted easily can cover the entire home.
I like to split it into two AP's for other reasons (performance, total loss, etc)

Edit: Impulse Buy Completed! Thanks STH :)
2x R710 on the way, I'll toss up the R600s for sale if anybody is interested probably $100 each.
I'll take the savings and the recoup and forward it to a higher end model down the road if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: tommybackeast

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Whoa, it sounds like I got a steal for $100 each R710s from a member on here. Came a little beat up but nothing Bondic repair couldn't fit. Loving the stability and performance and no need to endlessly tweak like UAP.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Whoa, it sounds like I got a steal for $100 each R710s from a member on here. Came a little beat up but nothing Bondic repair couldn't fit. Loving the stability and performance and no need to endlessly tweak like UAP.
I will never go back to UAP - Ubiquities model to me is

1.) Lure you in with great cheap AP's (get you into the Unifi environment)
2.) Make you later realize there is much lacking without the Security Gateway (Witch is quite under powered)
3.) Then over charge you for switches so you can complete the environment (And essentially lock you into their eco system forever)

When I was able to get used enterprise switches way cheaper than Ubiquiti (especially POE or 10gb) and have a PFSense firewall that I would never trade in for a USG. It just made sense to get rid of the AP's

I did not know until I got the R600's how bad my UAP's were, my signal drops went away, and performance went up, signal strength way better, and I had so much frustration with my Linux VM running the controller software having issues, the Mongo DB kept bloating and filling up all its drive space, and so I had to run some crazy scripts manually to purge it all the time.

and yes @Kev sounds like a steal! I paid I think nearly $200 each just for the R600's but I think $275 each for R710's was fair esp if they are truly in new out of box condition as advertised.