Ruckus R700 BO $90 accepted

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
How does this compare to the Unifi AP AC LR?

Does not supporting unleashed firmware automatically make the UniFi a better product from a SW/firmware perspective?

Reactions: Samir

gardar

Nov 15, 2012
How does this compare to the Unifi AP AC LR?

Does not supporting unleashed firmware automatically make the UniFi a better product from a SW/firmware perspective?
Well, the unifi interface is sexier and has some features missing from the standalone ruckus, but the ruckus hardware is way better than unifi.. For home use the R700 is a overkill, I'd recommend the R310 with unleashed for home use.

You can read a very detailed test of various vendors here: Wi-Fi Stress Test - a vendor-independent analysis of access points | Wireless LAN Professionals
I know it's a old test, but I haven't found any newer.

Seems it can run in standalone mode without a zone director.
Since I only need 1 ap, it might be a good choice :)
Too bad a zd1200 costs $250+ used...

-jannis
True, the standalone mode is perfectly fine, especially with a single access point your R700 is going to be set and forget.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
I use an R700 in standalone for home use. It is rock solid and I'd highly recommend it. I think I paid $400 on eBay a few years back.
Ahh, then I feel I made a very good purchase :)
And now I found out that the ZD1100 supports the R700.
Seems I get to play with enterprise wireless after all :)

-jannis

Last edited:

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Ahh, then I feel I made a very good purchase :)
And now I found out that the ZD1100 supports the R700.
Seems I get to play with enterprise wireless after all :)

-jannis
With the ZD1100 controller, do you need to purchase AP licenses in order for the controller to manage the APs? Please advise.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
With the ZD1100 controller, do you need to purchase AP licenses in order for the controller to manage the APs? Please advise.
I believe the ZD1100 can manage minimum 6 ap's without extra license.
Often they come with more licensing for more than 6 ap's too:
Items for sale by g-electronic | eBay

And if you upgrade the ZD1100 to 9.8.3.0.58 it supports the R700 and does not need an active support contract for the firmware.
According to Ruckus, this is the last firmware that does not have a check for valid support contract.
I got a used ZD1100 on the way, hopefully it works :)
It'll also be interesting to see which firmware level it's at.

-jannis

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I believe the ZD1100 can manage minimum 6 ap's without extra license.
Often they come with more licensing for more than 6 ap's too:
Items for sale by g-electronic | eBay

And if you upgrade the ZD1100 to 9.8.3.0.58 it supports the R700 and does not need an active support contract for the firmware.
According to Ruckus, this is the last firmware that does not have a check for valid support contract.
I got a used ZD1100 on the way, hopefully it works :)
It'll also be interesting to see which firmware level it's at.

-jannis
I have one coming today as well. Let the fun began...

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
I use an R700 in standalone for home use. It is rock solid and I'd highly recommend it. I think I paid $400 on eBay a few years back.
For what i understand the R700 don´t support unleashed firmware but i will still be able to complete configure it and run it without problems as long it is just one AP, correct ?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Anyone know how loud the ZD1100 is? I can't find if it is passive or not.
Just got mine today.. No noise whatsoever. It came with firmware version 9.8.2.0 Build 15. I upgraded to version 9.8.3.0 Build 58. In addition to my surprise, it came licensed for 25 APs.

Reactions: lowfat and Samir

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
So is having an R700 plus a ZoneDirector essentially the same as having a R310 with unleashed? Well, not essentially the same, but in terms of a feature/management perspective? It seems like the ZD would be the enterprise centralized controller version of what you would expect to get in terms of management functionality from a stand alone unleashed device.

Anyone can confirm/deny?

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
So is having an R700 plus a ZoneDirector essentially the same as having a R310 with unleashed? Well, not essentially the same, but in terms of a feature/management perspective? It seems like the ZD would be the enterprise centralized controller version of what you would expect to get in terms of management functionality from a stand alone unleashed device.

Anyone can confirm/deny?

I've used both management platforms extensively. Unleashed will give you most or all of the features 95% of SMB would look for in a centrally managed WiFi Deployment. You'll receive more logging, integration and scalability options with a zone director. Honestly, after Aruba dropped thier IAP line everyone started to jump on the zero controller bandwagon.

If it was my money. Unleashed!

Reactions: lowfat and Samir

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
I've used both management platforms extensively. Unleashed will give you most or all of the features 95% of SMB would look for in a centrally managed WiFi Deployment. You'll receive more logging, integration and scalability options with a zone director. Honestly, after Aruba dropped thier IAP line everyone started to jump on the zero controller bandwagon.

If it was my money. Unleashed!
I'm looking at Aruba instant on.
Priced like ubiquiti unifi, but no need for local controller.
Looks very nice.
Aruba is known for high quality equipment too

-jannis