Ruckus R600 post-setup problems

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jul 14, 2017
So I am trying to replace my old Netgear R7000 with a combination of a PFsense firewall (a Qotom fanless box) and Ruckus R600 AP. Once this issue is resolved I might need some further tips on how exactly to set things up. In particular the best place to hook up the AP to the Qotom (it has 4 intel NIC ports) and the switches for connections to the rest of the devices.

I'm trying to get the firewall and AP set up before I swap over to them. So I'm not replacing the router at the moment, just hooking them up to the network as it exists, on unused IP.

The Firewall I think I've got set up after some missadventures involving unclear mappings of ethernet ports on the Qotom, the R600 is where I'm running into issues.

I can reset and run through the R600's setup process with no problems. I'm setting it up at a fixed IP of 192.168.1.72, renaming the ssid and admin/pw, etc... finishing the setup and that is were I am hitting issues. After rebooting the AP, I can not access it at either the IP or unleashed.ruckuswireless.com.

I've tried the iOS app with the same results. I can see and connect to the wireless network on both the phone and my laptop. I've tried this with both a wifi and a direct ethernet connection to the AP on the laptop. Now they are complaining that there is no internet access once I am connected. On the phone even though I can see and connect to the wifi, it says I'm not "connected to Unleashed network", when I try to use the app.

I have gotten basically the same results with both the R600_200.6.10.1.312.bl7 and R600_200.7.10.202.94.bl7 firmware. So I know there's some sort of iOS bug with the 200.7 firmware, but I don't think that's factoring into things.

Does this HAVE to have an internet connection to be able to access and configure things? That wasn't the impression I had.

So what if anything is there that I'm likely overlooking? Let me know what if any other information I should provide.

Edited to fix mistyping on IP.

Last edited:

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Maybe you fat-fingered the IP address. You specifically referenced

Jul 14, 2017
Well I would tend to assume that if that was all I had gotten wrong, that the unleashed.ruckuswireless.com would still work. So more likely I just fat fingered it when typing it in here. Using the 128 does not work in any case and I am seeing a 192.168.1.72 on my network, but no 128.

So made some progress. Apparently the IP address got reset at some point to the original (192.168.0.1), which is why I wasn't able to connect to it. Got it on the IP address I planed on using temporarily. I'll try moving things to be the replacement in the morning.

Last edited: