Ruckus R500 for $50 or maybe an offer for 3x R500 for $40 each

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Konger

Nov 24, 2019
Hey just want to share this deal...

Ruckus R500 Wave 1 2x2 Radio for $50 each or I know the dealer will accept 3x R500 for $40 each...

Ruckus 901-R500-US00 802.11ac Indoor Access Point *Base ONLY* | eBay

Note this is better than Unifi AC LR/Lite and
better than the Unifi AC Pro minus 1 antenna...

You can do mesh.. and last firmware that it will ever have is unleashed 200.7.10.200.94 ... Reason why so cheap is Ruckus EOL it.

Oddworld

Jan 16, 2018
So, there will be no more firmware updates for it?

Is the latest FW freely available, or stuck behind a paywall / support contract?

Reactions: Samir

Konger

Nov 24, 2019
It’s freely available as long as you make an free online account .... unleashed firmware .. no support contract needed ... unleashed wave 1 has a limit of 25 and 500 devices I think .. wave 2 limit is 50 aps and 1000 devices..

jirijanata

Mar 9, 2016
I think, that UniFi Controller is quite good (for that price) - do you think, that you can do with Ruckus all basic things like on UniFi? Traffic Shaping?

Can you install somewhere central console / management for unleashed devices? Thanks!

lowfat

Nov 25, 2016
I really like my R500. Although I have an issue where my ESP32s won't stay connected to it.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think, that UniFi Controller is quite good (for that price) - do you think, that you can do with Ruckus all basic things like on UniFi? Traffic Shaping?

Can you install somewhere central console / management for unleashed devices? Thanks!
I think there is an app to manage unleashed APs.

If you want a regular management console you need Smartzone or Smartdirector for $$ (and then not use unleashed).

Konger

Nov 24, 2019

The thing for unleashed is that the controller software is installed on one of the R500. One R500 can act as a master and while the other R500 are members of it. If the Master R500 for some reason went down, one of the other R500's would become the master. Yes you can control and limit the traffic if you want, setup vlans, have a guest wifi, hotspot, etc.

Just note if you get the R500 from eBay it's more likely setup for Zone Director. So I suggest flashing it to Standalone 104.x firmware then flashing it to unleashed 200.7.10.200.94.

Here's how you can setup unleashed after flashing the firmware.

Last edited:

Konger

Nov 24, 2019
I would suggest the web interface over the phone app since you have more advanced options.

Konger

Nov 24, 2019
I would skip the r700 since it’s antenna was not a redesign and it’s antenna is based on the ruckus 7982 802.11n . They just threw in an ac enterprise chipset in it. The r600 would perform better than r700. Also the r700 doesn’t have enough ram so they did not bother support it in unleashed. R500 and R600 came out a year later after the r700.

Anyway, I would get the r500 or r510, r610, r710 if the price was right.

Reactions: lambda and Samir

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
Base only means no mounting brackets, correct? If so, how do I mount to wall or ceiling? Are there screw holes on the base?

Konger

Nov 24, 2019
Yes there are screw holes with a locking mechanism. The mounting brackets that normally come it when new are t-bar mounting brackets for drop ceiling. Nice resident metal brackets for ceiling or wall they normally go for $25. You can be creative and make your own bracket since the screw holes are there . I usually get the ruckus metal brackets for my residential clients since they purchase new ap units from an authorized dealer.

Konger

Nov 24, 2019
Also note it’s best to mount it on ceiling if you can. Wall mounting changes the antenna pattern to more vertical reach vs horizontal..

Konger

Nov 24, 2019
I mean is there any reason these can't just sit on top of a desk?

They can set on a desk if you want, but the best coverage always ceiling .. never wall mount if you can. Then your coverage with more vertical than horizontal.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
They can set on a desk if you want, but the best coverage always ceiling .. never wall mount if you can. Then your coverage with more vertical than horizontal.
Might be beneficial on certain use cases,so good to know, thanks:)

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Do any of the unleashed models work as well on a desk or on a flat surface? I would be replacing a Unifi AP AC LR with a couple of these. I prefer the all-in-one nature of the Ruckus units and am not a fan of the Ubiquiti telemetry.

spanky34

May 5, 2016
Do any of the unleashed models work as well on a desk or on a flat surface? I would be replacing a Unifi AP AC LR with a couple of these. I prefer the all-in-one nature of the Ruckus units and am not a fan of the Ubiquiti telemetry.
They'll work just about as well as the Unifi AP's in the same position. The Unifi AP's are also best placed on the ceiling but work OK on a flat surface.

sfair

Jan 4, 2018
I currently have 3x Ubiquity UAP-PRO in service. They are the older wireless N (No AC) Pro AP. They currently server my needs ok with a controller running on a home server. I have been looking for a AC AP to replace them with.

The Ubiquity model I have has an outdoor rating as long as it's not directly exposed to precipitation. I currently have one of our access points mounted on the rear of our house on the gable end. It's vertically mounted to the wall and protected by a 18" overhang. So far I have had no issues with it being outdoors for the last 2 years.

I didn't see exact specs for the R500 for temperature range, condensation, ect. I consider the overhang it's mounted on to be pretty well protected. Should I expect the R500 to hold up ok in those conditions?