RSV-L4500 - Hot Swap Bays?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mke5271

Apr 16, 2016
Has anyone tried to put hot swap bays in this case? If so, which ones work?

I'm looking for a 4U Chassis that supports 12 bays+, an SSI EEB motherboard & an ATX power supply. I've read around and it appears that the RSV-L4000 doesn't have mounting holes for an SSI EEB motherboard. I have an RSV-L4500 currently and it does have the appropriate mounting holes, except it doesn't have hot swap bays.

mke5271

Apr 16, 2016
Yes - but those say in the documentation that they're made for the RSV-L4000. Can you put these in the L4500? It has 15 internal bays, with 5 x 3.5" bays in each slot in the front. I'm wondering if the internal bays can be removed from the front, and the hot swaps can be added in, I don't know if the internal bays are standard 3 x 5.25" bays and can't find anything saying if they are/aren't. The RSV-L4000 is pretty clear about it being compatible with 3 x 5.25" bays, but the L4500 doesn't say anything about it.

I could just get one and try it out I suppose, but it'd be nice to get something I know is going to work and not have to deal with returning it.

djflow195

Jan 1, 2016

Rufus477

Feb 10, 2017
Anyone using the ICY DOCK FlexCage MB975SP-B with the RSV-L4500 case? According to the measurements if you rotate the ICY DOCK bay 90 degrees it should fit just fine.

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
Have you considered a Norco case? I tried fitting iStarUSA trayless hot swaps in my RSV-L4000, but they wouldn't go in unless you cut some of the inner sheet metal of the case. I ended up just going with a Norco 4220. (Fits SSI EEB boards + ATX power supply as well) Norco also has other models with varying numbers of hot swaps supporting SSI EEB + ATX power supplies.

Last edited:

Ninja1283

Jul 10, 2016
Anyone using the ICY DOCK FlexCage MB975SP-B with the RSV-L4500 case? According to the measurements if you rotate the ICY DOCK bay 90 degrees it should fit just fine.
No experience with that exact setup, but assuming it uses the same toolless mounting as the L4412, you should be fine. It took me about 5min to convert my L4412 to a 15-bay hotswap enclosure using iStarUSA trayless hot-swaps. Just remember that you'll lose the front intake fans for the 80mm fans behind the drive bays. Something to keep in mind if cooling or noise is a concern.

Have you considered a Norco case? I tried fitting iStarUSA trayless hot swaps in my RSV-L4000, but they wouldn't go in unless you cut some of the inner sheet metal of the case. I ended up just going with a Norco 4220. (Fits SSI EEB boards + ATX power supply as well) Norco also has other models with varying numbers of hot swaps supporting SSI EEB + ATX power supplies.
Are you talking about the two left-most bay sets, or the vertical stack of 3x 5.25" bays on the right side? I'm guessing you had to cut the metal between the individual 5.25" bays to fit a 4-in-3 hotswap, but the two left sets were easier?