Router hardware configuration with LTE & WiFi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
I have a need to configure a router with both a WiFi internet connection and a fall over LTE. First I am attacking the hardware configuration and then later the software. This router as clarification will receive its WiFi from a access point with the need to login with user ID and password. I’m almost positive that I will not be able to establish a site to site VPN connection through this login. If that is possible then it’s all the better. The LTE connection will be there for redundancy as well as the option to VPN too. These connections would then provide internet connection via Ethernet to a group of pc’s. While I know all this is possible I have never done a project like this.

So with all that in mind I have been looking at hardware.I was first thinking something with two mini pci connectors and have it a barebones system. Second I thought wait I probably already have hardware I just need to get the right pci card adapters. I would like to take the second option and configure a pc with this setup.

This is my list of hardware that I believe will be needed to have the router perform the duties stated above:

While I already have a Gigabyte Motherboard I have been considering the motherboard below because of volume of Ethernet ports and 10GbE backbone for pc connections on that side.

SV-X10SLH-N6-ST031-Supermicro 1U Firewall Server W/ X10SLH-N

Price 150-200

Processor E3 1265Lv3 (Already own)
Ram 4x4Gb EDIMM (Already own)
Hard Drive (Already own)

(Wifi LTE-Cat20 2Gbps DL 150 Mbps UL)
Quectel EM20-G CAT20 M.2 Modem – LTE FIX

Price $275

(PCI Card to M.2 with Sim Card holder)
Amazon.com: Ableconn PEXM2150B PCI Express x1 Adapter Card with M.2 Key B Socket - Support M2 B Key or B-M Key WWAN (CDMA, GPS, LTE) or PCIe Host Module: Computers & Accessories

Price $25

(PCIe Cable Extension Locate LTE card alternate locations inside case)
Amazon.com: Pci Express Riser Cable x1pcie Riser Cable PCI-e PCI Express 36PIN 1X Extension Cable(90 Degrees Direction): Industrial & Scientific

Price $17

Antenna
698-2690MHz Cisco 4G LTE Antenna with Extension Base (two pack)

Price 3@42 Total $126

(interior Antenna Cable)
https://ltefix.com/shop/cables/pigt...1-78mm&attribute_pa_cable-length=10-inch-25cm

Price 6@9 Total $54

last some sort of WIFI but not sure what would provide best compatibility.

also that wouldn’t be needed if I use the Gigabyte board as that already has the WiFi.

Thoughts?
Thanks

randman

May 3, 2020
Have you looked into Peplink's Pepwave routers? They support Wi-Fi As WAN, WAN via Ethernet cable (e.g. using cable modem), and/or LTE. Their routers can be configured to failover amongst these connectivity options. I use one of their routers with an LTE SIM card to back up my cable modem. I haven't tried it personally, but some of their routers also support what they call "Wi-Fi As WAN", which I believe is what you referred to as WiFi internet connection. Peplink routers do cost more than your average consumer router, but I've found their routers to be very reliable and the software very well written and rock solid. The only negative I've experienced is that they do have quite a large selection of routers, so it takes time to whittle down the list of which one is appropriate depending on one's needs. But their tech support is responsive (or they put you in contact with a reseller, which I surprisingly found useful and knowledgeable), and their forum is a good place to ask.

EDIT: below is an example of configuring Wi-Fi As WAN:

A lot of their routers also support LTE SIM cards, so they can be used as failover when the primary internet connection goes down.

Last edited:

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Have you looked into Peplink's Pepwave routers? They support Wi-Fi As WAN, WAN via Ethernet cable (e.g. using cable modem), and/or LTE. Their routers can be configured to failover amongst these connectivity options. I use one of their routers with an LTE SIM card to back up my cable modem. I haven't tried it personally, but some of their routers also support what they call "Wi-Fi As WAN", which I believe is what you referred to as WiFi internet connection. Peplink routers do cost more than your average consumer router, but I've found their routers to be very reliable and the software very well written and rock solid. The only negative I've experienced is that they do have quite a large selection of routers, so it takes time to whittle down the list of which one is appropriate depending on one's needs. But their tech support is responsive (or they put you in contact with a reseller, which I surprisingly found useful and knowledgeable), and their forum is a good place to ask.

EDIT: below is an example of configuring Wi-Fi As WAN:

A lot of their routers also support LTE SIM cards, so they can be used as failover when the primary internet connection goes down.
You might be right about using a pre-package system. Yes the connection would be WIFI as WAN . I did find them when I was doing some research into this so that gives me a bit more confidence in there product.
Anybody know how Pfsense would handle this. Does my hardware list look okay?