Router, Firewall, Loadbalancer, Switch combo in one device?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Is there any device that acts as a production grade medium to large enterprise router, firewall, loadbalancer, and switch and does mostly all functions as if each working as individual devices, but in this as one single device?

If yes what device is this? link?

Thanks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Is there any device that acts as a production grade medium to large enterprise router, firewall, loadbalancer, and switch and does mostly all functions as if each working as individual devices, but in this as one single device?

If yes what device is this? link?

Thanks.
That's pretty much F5's wheelhouse...lots of products depending on scale and need. Firewall and router are still a bit simplistic/immature but depending on what you need could be enough.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Can you please post the models i should be looking at?
Thanks a lot!
Not without a better understanding of your application, what you need from a firewall, what you need from a router, what you need for load balancing and at what speeds & feeds do you need to accomplish these things. Medium to Large Enterprise equipment does not fit simple cookie-cutter recipes.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Not without a better understanding of your application, what you need from a firewall, what you need from a router, what you need for load balancing and at what speeds & feeds do you need to accomplish these things. Medium to Large Enterprise equipment does not fit simple cookie-cutter recipes.
I said medium to large enterprise to give more than enough space for scale. I dont need anything more than 1Gbps throughput.
Will be hosting web apps/sites mostly blogs, forums, django websites and those regular things.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
NetScaler VPX (virtual appliance) - There is even a free version.
Sophos UTM - Also has all of those features.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
So F5 it is...of course you'll pay more for their switch/firewall/router/load balancer than you did for the C6100s...even if you bought them new. Lots more...

I think there are probably better solutions for you scale than F5, but if you really need it all buttoned up in a single appliance they are probably it. Since there is more info in your other thread I'll comment there.

Also, I probably have a different view of "medium to large" enterprise solutions. 2x 1U + 2x 2U quad is still SOHO, with a capital "S". When I think large enterprise I think systems that need 2-4 megawatt generators for backup power...and medium is just a bit smaller. Its all about perspective - which is why more information is helpful in getting better answers.

Last edited:

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
So F5 it is...of course you'll pay more for their switch/firewall/router/load balancer than you did for the C6100s...even if you bought them new. Lots more...

I think there are probably better solutions for you scale than F5, but if you really need it all buttoned up in a single appliance they are probably it. Since there is more info in your other thread I'll comment there.

Also, I probably have a different view of "medium to large" enterprise solutions. 2x 1U + 2x 2U quad is still SOHO, with a capital "S". When I think large enterprise I think systems that need 2-4 megawatt generators for backup power...and medium is just a bit smaller. Its all about perspective - which is why more information is helpful in getting better answers.
Yes you are 100% right on the medium to large enterprise...i am not even close at all..lol..i wanted something that is top quality and not something i will be doubting if it will stay to par performance-wise.

So yes i am probably even HO only..lol
Anyways what model of f5 should i be looking at?

Thanks