romed8 bmc update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Hello,
There was an old thread that discussed the process to update the romed8 mb from bmc (fw) from 1.10 to 1.19. Apparently the procedures on asrock rack's website did not work on some motherboards. Some folks mentioned that they needed to request a new chip from asrockrack. Can someone confirm and if so, provide any details/contact # for this process?
thanks

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
some major changes need to use socflash utility from DOS boot.
some users reported: socflash says "Error Can't find the Device"
the reason for this CAN BE the usage of a PCIe GPU Card instead of the onboard (analog 15pin)VGA from the BMC ASPEED chip.
the utility uses the PCI ID of the main display to search for the interface to the flash chip, this will fail on a PCIe GPU Card.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
thanks. I do have a discreet gpu installed. I can take the board out and put on a bench. I would then just use the onboard vga. It didn't seem to make sense that you would have to request a new bmc chip just to upgrade from one version to another! It would be nice to have someone confirm. I can try tonight and update this thread. thanks again for the suggestion.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
for these things i have a BIOS flash hardware-programmer(TL866II).
fortunaly ASRockRack uses sockets for the're BIOS&BMC chips.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
that worked! Just needed to pull the gpu and everything worked as expected. still don't have system inventory from the gui but not a biggie for me.

Reactions: RolloZ170

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
that worked! Just needed to pull the gpu and everything worked as expected. still don't have system inventory from the gui but not a biggie for me.
this is updated/sent by the BIOS at POST, maybe the BIOS does not match the BMC FWs needs.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
I used the process outlined by Asrock (with a Rome CPU). and it worked as directed. dropped in my Milan CPU after and it's fine.

updated BIOS to 3.20 via IPMI
updated BMC via freeDOS flash drive with the socflash tool from asrock (had to find a link to the newer version since the slightly older version is a dead link in the asrock documentation).
I also did it without a GPU installed. just on my test bench via the onboard VGA.
I had to clear my browser cache to access the webGUI again since the new 1.19 BMC FW uses a new GUI.

initial reboots after flashing took quite a while from what i remember, but it eventually worked. and subsequent warm reboots were fine.

I also don't care about the system inventory.

i did try to update the BMC via IPMI, and it should be possible since that option is listed in the GUI, but it just gets stuck after uploading and never progresses. I updated my EPYCD8 boards via IPMI and they worked, but not with the ROMED8 board.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I loaded the 3.28 that was posted on this forum but still no inventory. I am using a 7763 but that shouldn't be an issue.
you have to wait for the next full successfull POST.
if you have disabled "wait for BMC initialisation" the inv. is not filled too.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I have rebooted and even unplugged and powered back on a few times. I will check the bios for the setting mentioned above.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
just checked. I had "wait for BMC init" checked so no luck with that being the culprit. I am assuming that I can still use the discreet gpu. I only needed to remove that temporarily when updating the fw.

Reactions: RolloZ170

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
the system inventory finally showed up! However, there now seems to be an issue with the fans throttling up and down. Normally, I would run some ipmiutil commands to set the thresholds, but with this fw those commands don't seem to work. I also tried to adjust the fan settings in the gui but they didn't seem to have any impact. combo that I am currently using: fw: 1.19 bios: 1.3.28

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
the system inventory finally showed up! However, there now seems to be an issue with the fans throttling up and down. Normally, I would run some ipmiutil commands to set the thresholds, but with this fw those commands don't seem to work. I also tried to adjust the fan settings in the gui but they didn't seem to have any impact. combo that I am currently using: fw: 1.19 bios: 1.3.28
Make sure you're programming the fans correctly; there are several settings you must change for custom duty cycles to work. You can also try setting manual fixed percentages.

I have 17x ROMED8-2T machines all running L3.28 with 1.19 with custom fan curves, all working normally.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Make sure you're programming the fans correctly; there are several settings you must change for custom duty cycles to work. You can also try setting manual fixed percentages.

I have 17x ROMED8-2T machines all running L3.28 with 1.19 with custom fan curves, all working normally.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. You guys were correct (as usual!) in that my issue was with the case fans and a special fan hub. This still doesn't explain why the ipmiutil commands don't seem to work but at least the bmc gui works as advertised. Now that I have everything sorted on this board.....time to move on to the next project :)