ROMED8-2T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
No matter the bad experience I had with the EPYCD8, I'm considering this board, mainly because I really loved the 7282 processor. ROMED8 seems to be better executed than its previous sibling, at least on paper.

It will be intended for workstation use. Thus, allow me one question for those who own the board: can it be put to sleep (or at least hibernation) in both Linux and Windows?

Thanks!

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
I used the EPYCD8-2T for weeks under Linux. There was no way to put it into sleep or hibernation. The screen did blank, but the system remained powered on. At that point, you got to hard reset the machine.
I tried all the possible tricks, advices from people across the internet, bios settings. Nothing worked.

The board died shortly after, though (returned for refund). So I don't really know if that sleep issue was due to a defective board. Thus, I'm seeking feedback.

panda

Jan 31, 2019
I am a user of EPYC 7H12 and Romed 8-2T.
Unfortunately from the conclusion, Windows sleeve function cannot be used for Romed8-2T.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
I am a user of EPYC 7H12 and Romed 8-2T.
Unfortunately from the conclusion, Windows sleeve function cannot be used for Romed8-2T.
Thanks for your feedback. What about hibernation? And did you tried with Linux?
What a shame, though. It seems there is no decent Epyc board to be used as base for a workstation.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
However, folks, it seems the only reasonable and cost-effective alternative are the Xeons W-22XX. Specifically, I absolutely need support for RDIMMs, and that rules out desktop processor, no matter how powerful they are.

Any suggestion about a suitable MB?

codgician

Dec 14, 2022
La La Land
Seems like no EPYC motherboard on market supports S3/S4 sleep states. I heard that some Xeon motherboards may support it.

Threadripper boards should support S3/S4 states though, you could put that into consideration.