ROMED6U-2L2T - Naples support?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chozo4

Feb 25, 2021
Greetings!

Several months ago before ASRock Rack had updated the specifications page it had stated it supports EPYC 7001/7002 CPUs for the ROMED6U-2L2T. As of recently it has been updated to indicate only 7002 ROME based CPU's and as thus indicates no support for Naples. I currently have this board on the way in a few days from NewEgg despite it still being marked as "Preliminary". Is there anyone that has this board that can verify if it does still infact support naples in any form although in an "unofficial capacity"? It would make completing this platform far easier in the short term far as obtaining a used unlocked CPU in the meantime to get the system up and running.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I checked with asrockrack and they mentioned that the current bios (1.0) is compatible with both the naples and rome cpus. But they said that the next version of the bios (2.0?) would only be compatible with the rome and milan versions. I have a few of these boards that are currently running the rome cpus. I will be trying to get the naples cpus (7551) to work but won't be able to confirm for a few weeks. I will let you know what I find as soon as I test.
jp

Reactions: Chozo4 and nnunn

Chozo4

Feb 25, 2021
I checked with asrockrack and they mentioned that the current bios (1.0) is compatible with both the naples and rome cpus. But they said that the next version of the bios (2.0?) would only be compatible with the rome and milan versions. I have a few of these boards that are currently running the rome cpus. I will be trying to get the naples cpus (7551) to work but won't be able to confirm for a few weeks. I will let you know what I find as soon as I test.
jp
I had contacted ASRock Rack as well a couple weeks back about the issue and they clearly stated Naples was not supported at all even from an unofficial capacity. Which is ironic considering the previous support indication prior to the changes. Also interestingly is they recently skipped v2.0 and went right for v3.01 for the Milan supporting revision released the 25th.

Your reply contradicts the statement they provided me and I very eagerly await your results. Thank you for your response.

Last edited:

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I had contacted ASRock Rack as well a couple weeks back about the issue and they clearly stated Naples was not supported at all even from an unofficial capacity. Which is ironic considering the previous support indication prior to the changes. Also interestingly is they recently skipped v2.0 and went right for v3.01 for the Milan supporting revision released the 25th.

Your reply contradicts the statement they provided me and I very eagerly await your results. Thank you for your response.
I can't test this right now as the only naples cpus that I have are in the workstation that I am currently using as my main desktop. I had planned on upgrading my main workstation with a 7h12 and repurposing the 7551s in a couple of custom appliances that we make using the romed6 and the 7551s. I reached out to the folks at asrock rack and got the following response:

ROMED6U-2L2T first release BIOS P1.00 supports EPYC+ROME CPU at the same time.

But it will support ROME+Milan CPU in the feature, EPYC CPU will not maintain anymore.

Yours truly
Aaron Lin
Technical Support Department

I sent an email to confirm as the above email was not that clear. Another twist is that I have fw/bmc of 0.03.00 and bios of L0.05 on one of my romed6 boards. i do not know if this is older or newer than the 1.0 version currently on the website (and the version that they reference should support the naples cpus.) I agree with you though as I won't believe it until I can prove it myself. I am just not sure as to what I need to do with the bios and fw. I think I got these boards as early samples that might not have been fully baked! I will let you know as soon as I hear back from them and as soon as I get a chance to swap out my naples cpus.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I finally tried to use my retail 7551 cpus in the romed6 after asrock rack stated that it would work with "EPYC" cpus (which I confirmed that they meant the 7001/naples series.) Unfortunately they would not post. I tried it with the 1.00 version of the bios and fw. Now I need to start the search for a m-atx mb that will work with the 7001 series of cpus!

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I don't give up that easy (especially since I couldn't find any other m-atx mb for the epyc series!) I was able to get the romed6 to work with a naples 7551. I went back and forth with Aaron and he insisted that it should work and showed me a screenshot of the same cpu working in the same model board. He is usually correct so I kept trying to get it to work on my system. I do not know exactly what did the trick but it is working properly now. It seems like after swapping the cpus (7002 with 7001), it takes a long time even for the bmc to become active. I think I did not wait long enough in my earlier attempts. but in either case, it seems like there is a board that will work with all three generations of amd epyc! Keep in mind that even though this mb is pcie gen4, the naples cpu only supports pcie gen3. also the ram is limited to 2666Mhz vs 3200Mhz with the rome cpus.

1617311608660.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RolloZ170

Chozo4

Feb 25, 2021
I don't give up that easy (especially since I couldn't find any other m-atx mb for the epyc series!) I was able to get the romed6 to work with a naples 7551. I went back and forth with Aaron and he insisted that it should work and showed me a screenshot of the same cpu working in the same model board. He is usually correct so I kept trying to get it to work on my system. I do not know exactly what did the trick but it is working properly now. It seems like after swapping the cpus (7002 with 7001), it takes a long time even for the bmc to become active. I think I did not wait long enough in my earlier attempts. but in either case, it seems like there is a board that will work with all three generations of amd epyc! Keep in mind that even though this mb is pcie gen4, the naples cpu only supports pcie gen3. also the ram is limited to 2666Mhz vs 3200Mhz with the rome cpus.

View attachment 18143
That's incredible news and I guess this question was quite fruitful afterall! Having a board supporting all 3 generations seems to have been a taboo subject so far and this is one now that does infact support it. Hoping the resulting demand (?) will encourage ASR to produce more of these and finally bring it out of prelim state. I'm also seeing some bug reports that need sending to Martin over at HWInfo far as memory detection but I'll get those once I get mine up and running. It's a shame one couldn't rip the early release BIOS for preservation however as it would have made it interesting to further test ES samples support due to a possible older AGESA version.

Despite your efforts I'd ended up getting ordered in a new 7252 as the Naples CPU I had been eyeing that was confirmed unlocked is no longer available while Rome prices significantly dropped in the last week. The other Naples options found either didn't come with a carrier, were sketch on vendor lock status (or didn't understand what I was asking), or even similarly priced at this point and I just needed to ensure it works first time. I'd also selfishly also wanted the case badge (yay! a sticker!) as they seem impossible to find.

I greatly appreciate the effort you have put in to testing+confirming this and is very valuable information. Thank you!

Last edited:

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
I am interested in this board as well, and would like to use it with the EPYC 7251 or 7261.

@jpmomo Did you have to do something with the BIOS to get it working?
@Chozo4 - Did you buy it in the meantime and does it work for you?

Thanks!

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I am interested in this board as well, and would like to use it with the EPYC 7251 or 7261.

@jpmomo Did you have to do something with the BIOS to get it working?
@Chozo4 - Did you buy it in the meantime and does it work for you?

Thanks!
nothing special with bios settings. I just needed to ensure that the bios was the older version.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
It's a shame one couldn't rip the early release BIOS for preservation however as it would have made it interesting to further test ES samples support due to a possible older AGESA version.
these ROMEDxx boards are born in mid 2020.
a BIOS with old AGESA for ES support never existed.