1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNDP6000-100NAS

Discussion in 'NAS Systems and Networked Home and SMB Software' started by modder man, Oct 17, 2015.

1. modder man

modder man Active Member

Has anyone used one of these? Are they any good? General thoughts or concerns?

2. echo87

echo87 New Member

I don't have that model, but I used to have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 and currently own a ReadyNAS RN104. Never using Netgear again. A month away from a Synology DS1815+ with two expansion chassis instead or building my own box.

If you can go in a different way I recommend Synology. Easier, better support and just feels a lot smoother

3. modder man

modder man Active Member

That was the general thought I had of them. would not be my first choice. That said I have located one for about $200, I thought perhaps at that price it would be a bit hard to beat.

4. Stanza

Stanza Active Member

Friend has one (I beleive it's this model) its just a simple core 2 duo board inside.

so you can in theory put any OS you want on it.
    They are quiet with the original OS

I am going to wait for him to want to sell it and buy it to run Xpenology on it.

Should make a great Synology clone box I recon.

not sure if the below is newer or older one

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Re...-Ultra-6-Plus-CPU-Upgrade-Various/td-p/831237

5. modder man

modder man Active Member

If the OS could be switch then one could put freenas or something on it as well.

6. ZPE_Alvin

ZPE_Alvin New Member

Used ReadyNAS for past 10 years without any major issues. New OS is getting better, but you want to get the hardware with enough memory and CPU to run the Apps. Sorry, been away from NAS business.

7. CreoleLakerFan

CreoleLakerFan Active Member

I can never wrap my head around why anyone would choose one of these crummy pre-rolled NAS appliances instead of DIY ZFS NAS. You get much better performance for your dollar, and these ext4 or btrfs (at best) based systems do not stack up to ZFS in features and reliability.

whitey and coolrunnings82 like this.
  8. Chuckleb

Chuckleb Moderator

I have bought synology boxes to send with my researchers when they travel in the field. The UI is simple in case they need to change things and it works great for a small workgroup. I could send a DIY box but then need to make sure it is bulletproof. On the other hand, local tech support can help fix a synology system.

CreoleLakerFan likes this.
  9. CreoleLakerFan

CreoleLakerFan Active Member

Makes perfect sense.

10. modder man

modder man Active Member

I am not saying I would prefer that netgear for my use by any means. There was one for sale local with 6 4TB Seagate enterprise disks. I was going to pick it up for the disks. From there was trying to determine if i could get anything at all out of the NAS itself.