Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ambos1981

Aug 17, 2022
Hi Folks
I'm just noob in Riverbed CXA 770. Could you help me to install OpenWrt on it. First I will run Finnix on my USB but I was stuck at "

error: no suitable video mode found..img-5.16.0-4- 56.08MiB 100% 8.45MiB/s ] Booting in blind mode " . Anyone can help me run Finnix on Riverbed or if you have any way to install OpenWrt on Riverbed. Many thanks

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Hi Folks
I'm just noob in Riverbed CXA 770. Could you help me to install OpenWrt on it. First I will run Finnix on my USB but I was stuck at "

error: no suitable video mode found..img-5.16.0-4- 56.08MiB 100% 8.45MiB/s ] Booting in blind mode " . Anyone can help me run Finnix on Riverbed or if you have any way to install OpenWrt on Riverbed. Many thanks
One thing that usually helps for 'blind' installs like this is to install it on a pc and then move the drive.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
A bit off topic but I came across a program called "Test Drive" from T-Mobile in the US. Basically, they will send non-customers a hotspot with a 30-day sim card to test drive their LTE 4G network. After the trial period, you keep the modem. While it's locked to T-Mobile, I have read that T-Mobile MVMO carriers such as Google Fi should be able to work on the hotspot. This program has been running for about 2 years now and initially they were sending out hotspots made by a company called Franklin and the model is T9. The current devices are made by Wingtech and the model is HS1. The Franklin T9 seems to be unlockable (still) Rooting and Unlocking the T-Mobile T9 (Franklin Wireless R717) - Server Network Tech and there is some early work done to gain root access to the Wingtech HS1 (GitHub - natthawk/TMOHS1-Root-Utility: An interactive python script that enables root access on the T-Mobile (Wingtech) TMOHS1, as well as providing several useful utilites to change the configuration of the device.).

I have ordered the free device from T-Mobile as well as purchased the older model Franklin T9 on eBay for $10. The goal here is to add the hotspot via USB on the CX770 running OPNsense / pfSense to act as a failover WAN. As a Google Fi subscriber, I can order a free data-only sim to use on other devices, which is really nice since it won't incur data charges unless it's used and there's no need to pay an additional monthly subscription. A bit pricey though at $10/gb of data but it does cap out after $70.

UPDATE: IT WORKS! It gets recognized as ue0 (usb device). You just need to then set it as WAN in the interface and make sure IPV4 Configuration Type is set to DHCP and IPV6 set to none. This is just testing to see if it works before setting up failover. 20Mbit up and ~25Mbit down is not bad!

1660952717004.jpeg

Last edited:

illamint

Dec 25, 2015
Anyone have any thoughts on how to change the fan speed? I see in several reports that folks have observed the fan speeds reducing once pfSense loads, but on my system, the fans spin at the same (rather high) speed regardless of what state the system is in. It's rather loud, as a result.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Does anyone know if there's a more up-to-date bios for this board? I've searched Advantech for the NAMB-3250 A102-1 but no results. The Riverbed site seems to be off-limits without a registered account and you need a valid license to register. I've posted on their discussion forums but I doubt anyone will reply. The reason why I ask is that it seems that most newer SATA drives aren't correctly recognized. I've been stuck with using older SATA SSDs off eBay but most have a lot of read/writes or hours of usage.

EDIT: Looks like there isn't a newer version of the bios as per a Netgate forum user that has a contact at Riverbed. (PfSense on a Riverbed Steelhead)

Last edited:

ambos1981

Aug 17, 2022
Hi Folks
I install DSM 6.2.3 Legacy boot to Riverbed but got issue : "error: no suitable video mode found. Booting in blind mode” in grub. Could you help me to pass error. Or if you have anyway to install DSM on Riverbed, please tell me how.
Thanks slot

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Hi Folks
I install DSM 6.2.3 Legacy boot to Riverbed but got issue : "error: no suitable video mode found. Booting in blind mode” in grub. Could you help me to pass error. Or if you have anyway to install DSM on Riverbed, please tell me how.
Thanks slot
Have you installed xpenology or are you trying to install DSM straight onto the riverbed?

ambos1981

Aug 17, 2022
Have you installed xpenology or are you trying to install DSM straight onto the riverbed?
I'm sorry that not to clear. I want to install xpenology onto the riverbed but got issure " boot in blind mode" . Could you help me to fix it ?
Thank alots

noduck

Sep 12, 2020
I recently got a CX700 on eBay. It came with 2x2GB DIMM, 160GB Intel SSD, 320GB HDD. This BIOS is 4.6.5.4 (build 02/12/2014 19:05:01).

I have completed the following:
  1. The BIOS was accessible through the serial console. In the BIOS I changed the serial console to be 115200 (instead of the default 9600).
  2. I was able to boot from a USB stick with Ubuntu server, using serial console. When booting, in Grub added console=ttyS0,115200n8. Then installed Ubuntu without further issue.
  3. The fans were quite noisy. I swapped them with a Noctua and some random other fan I still had. The noise is better, but maybe need a second Noctua. CPU is at 47°C when idle. Goes up to at least 74°C under load.
  4. I added 2x8GB (Timetec 16GB KIT(2x8GB) DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600 Non-ECC Unbuffered 1.5V CL9 2Rx8 Dual Rank 240 Pin UDIMM), this works without issue: 20GB total.
  5. I replaced the HDD with a 500GB SATA SSD (CT500MX500SSD1), this also seems to work fine. The BIOS recognizes the full 500GB.
I am curious if anybody has any ideas on how to use the PCIe slot. It would be nice to add a 10G Ethernet card, but I am not sure how to mount it inside the existing case, or how to expose the ports to the outside of the case. The drive mounting cage seems to be way over engineered, at least for SSDs. Maybe that could free up space, and use a PCIe cable...

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
This BIOS is 4.6.5.4 (build 02/12/2014 19:05:01).
This is the most recent BIOS that I am aware of.

I looked into adding coreboot support for the board, but Intel Cave Creek is technically a 5 Series PCH and the CPU is Sandy/Ivy Bridge. This combination is not supported by coreboot, because the PCH initialisation code for Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs assumes a 6 Series PCH. The 6 Series differs significantly from 5 Series with regards to DMI initialisation. I was unaware that DMI 2.0 processors were even backward compatible to DMI, but Cave Creek seems to prove that they are.

I am curious if anybody has any ideas on how to use the PCIe slot.
Buy a short PCIe riser and figure out a way to keep the card from flopping around?

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
This is the most recent BIOS that I am aware of.
This is most likely the last bios firmware per Riverbed's response to a user on the Netgear forum. However, I did reach out to Advantech (MB manufacturer) and they said they will get back to me, I'll follow up to with them to see if there's a newer bios version.

Reactions: cucumbervirus

ambos1981

Aug 17, 2022
Hi all
I recently installed Esxi 6.7 u2 and create VM but can not have option sata on hardisk. I'm going to run DSM 7.0 Xpenology on but it's weird why i dont have sata of hardisk to choose. Anyone know reason ?

Kamilion

Jul 21, 2022
What power adapters are you guys using? Any recommendation?
Typically the ODM shipped with a Fortron Source Power Group FSP084-DIBAN2 12V 7A Power Supply. Any 5A brick supply with active regulation should be fine, I've used the physically smaller FSP060-DIBAN2 12V 5A supply without issue, but I didn't have any SATA spinning disks in the machine to present a spinup droop. Some SSDs with power loss capacitors may also droop the voltage when charging the caps during power application. There's a physical cutoff switch in the back, and an ATX soft power button in the front. Not sure if the drives remain powered if the rear switch is on, but the system is off. Something for me to go check on my lab box, I guess.