Review request: Gigabyte MA10-ST0 Intel Atom C3958 SoC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Hi Patrick,

From first glance, this GB Atom C3000 SoC looks even better than the SM A2SRi SoC.

Please could you do a review of this board? ;-)

Thanks!!

Andrew

Reactions: abq

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Anything bad about this board?
Thus far I like it. There are a few nuances.

One example is power. With the SM boards, you can use 20/24-pin ATX power and nothing else or DC input. On this, you need both ATX and CPU power connectors which is strange for such a low power SoC.

The physical layout is a bit rough. For example, the power connectors have the latch to the outside of the board. That is fine in larger cases but 1U designs where the top edge of the board is against the PSU makes it a very tight fit.

Reactions: ullbeking

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
The main thing I'm curious about (same as with the SM C3000 boards), is that even though they have 16 cores, is that really really the sweet spot. I've seen a few of these types of boards before (particularly Xeon-D) where, although they go up to a max of 16c, the sweet spot is really about 8c. Do you think there's anything similar about the C3000?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@ullbeking what do you mean by "sweet spot?"

Adding 8 more cores for around 10W TDP is darn good compared to the 8C variant.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
@ullbeking what do you mean by "sweet spot?"

Adding 8 more cores for around 10W TDP is darn good compared to the 8C variant.
I remember discussing factors that contribute to the sweet with you once (we were looking to see whether the cache scales as the # of cores increases, and IIRC it didn't). Also, the initial cost of a 16C variant is significantly more expensive that the 8C.

I also had similar discussions in r/homelab on Reddit.

These are only a few examples I can think of right now, but I'm sure there must be others too.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think cost is the big concern. Architecturally the 16 core is not bad, albeit latency between cores is not even.

The bigger concern is that at $450 for the CPU if you need general purpose compute and virtualization there are better options.

Then again, this much performance and QAT in such a low power package is a major selling point.