Review of White Label 4TB drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
They are a really nice company. Just received my 5 replacements today. 3 were for sure bad, 2 were probably enclosure related. They didn't care.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
They are a really nice company. Just received my 5 replacements today. 3 were for sure bad, 2 were probably enclosure related. They didn't care.
When I had a few with a problem the seller said that "1 drive was bad, the other 2 were fine, but they were still sending replacements."

Funny thing is that I tried them in 3 systems, all of them failed to spin up AT ALL and 2 of them made a "shattered glass inside a tin can" sound if you shook them back and forth. (not powered up of course).

My point is, it seems their RMA department seems to make stuff up in an effort to make themselves look better, but still replace the drives. If they were truly "fine" they wouldn't replace the drives, they would charge you for return shipping.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I just picked up 2 of these from the same seller. Running burn in tests now. They are running different firmware from each other though, and HDTune reports different drive features and different SMART data parameters. One of them is also faster by ~20MB/s, but it's fast enough for my purposes. Not sure what's up with that...

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I just picked up 2 of these from the same seller. Running burn in tests now. They are running different firmware from each other though, and HDTune reports different drive features and different SMART data parameters. One of them is also faster by ~20MB/s, but it's fast enough for my purposes. Not sure what's up with that...
One on my 2TB drives from them had a firmware of "DONTSHIP"[emoji15]

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
You should definitely return it. I have been emailing back and forth with then and decided to not order my latest batch of 200 drives as the order they got in had so many versions of firmwares and craziness. The manufacturer they got them from this time said that it's a mixed bag and they are not happy with them either. Surprised they sent some out to customers though.

Big disappointment in this batch and hope next one is better.

Reactions: eva2000

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Which firmware is the good one you're running? The ones I have seem to be 06.01E.0 and 00.0D2K3.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
You should definitely return it. I have been emailing back and forth with then and decided to not order my latest batch of 200 drives as the order they got in had so many versions of firmwares and craziness. The manufacturer they got them from this time said that it's a mixed bag and they are not happy with them either. Surprised they sent some out to customers though.

Big disappointment in this batch and hope next one is better.
Do you think the would cross ship a replacement? I didn't notice until last night and it already has data on it.

Which firmware is the good one you're running? The ones I have seem to be 06.01E.0 and 00.0D2K3.
MK70A840, its a rebranded Hitachi HUA723020ALA641.