Revamping HTPC Setup, Let Me Know If You See Any Flaws

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

knknif

May 27, 2013
So I'm going to be testing/implementing this in about a month but I figure id ask, maybe get some heads up about if it does or doesn't work and what I can or cant do to fix it.

Right now I just have my old desktop HDMI'ed to my TV, with a few 2TB HDDs in it. I will be buying a few more 2TB's, and throwing them into my 2950, and use raid 5 to create a (about) 9TB network storage drive. This will hold mostly movies but also other important things I need to back up. I know raid 5 isn't the BEST option and most people will say 6 is best (or 10 or blahblahblah), but the PERC 5/i doesnt offer 6, and if a drive should fail, I will have an extra sitting on my desk to replace it immediately. Along with that I will (hopefully) be getting a C6100 and using one of the nodes to act as a backup server for the actually important things like my pictures and documents and what not.

The next part is what I'm really hoping for some insight on.

I will be hooking up my raspberry pi to my TV through HDMI and using that to stream (through XBMC) the videos off of my network storage. The part I'm not sure about is if the raspberry pi can handle no shit HIGH def movies. It is advertised as being able to play 1080p, which from what I understand it lives up to its promise of. However, some of my rips get up to 15-20gb in size, do you guys think it would still be able to play those? I'm pretty sure the bottleneck here would be the video on the pi, I don't think the network or server would have any issues with it though. I tried googling the matter but didnt find anything that made me feel super confident.

Anything I'm overlooking in this plan?

knknif

May 27, 2013
Well I decided to not wait on the raspberry pi part. I was going to, for the sake of convenience/time, but for some reason I decided not to be lazy, and set it up. It is able to stream (without any lag or stutter) a 13gb hd movie without any issues.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Hard wired to a RasPi I stream 720/1080p HD content all day long...no issues whatsoever from a Plex backend.