Reusing DRAC or ILO boards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stonent

Dec 16, 2016
TX
Has anyone managed to get any PCI or PCI Express based DRAC/iDRAC/HP-ILO (or other) boards working in any capacity in a system in which they were not intended? Many of the older boards are cheap on the used market but some interface over a secondary bus as well as the PCI or PCI Express bus.

The DRAC 4 board has a PCI interface along with a ribbon cable and goes for pretty cheap. It has an onboard ATI graphics chip so I assume that the video is not travelling to the board from the motherboard.

I'm not concerned with the remote power on ability, I can already do that with Wake On Lan and it works.

If anyone has any of these kinds of boards, can you stick one in a non-server and post what if anything it does without the extra stuff connected?

Incidentally, I've seen a Lantronix Spider Duo IP KVM in use before and was impressed that it allows you to mount an ISO for remote OS installation just like a DRAC can do.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
The Dell/HP/IBM branded ones likely won't work. 3rd-party external ones can be moved from system to system. Lantronix Spider's are nice because they include the IPKVM + power control in a nice package. Otherwise you can also look into pairing something like a Raritan KX2 series with a switched PDU to accomplish a similar function (make sure to check compatibility). Lantronix works good when you have a few devices but when scaling I've found other more enterprise solutions to be cheaper on the secondary market.

Stonent

Dec 16, 2016
TX
Yes. I'm trying to do this on the cheap. The spiders still run $350-ish a piece used that I've seen.