[RESOLVED] Supermicro server shows 23 GB less ram after esxi install

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Feb 9, 2021
Hey guys,
I've got a little problem. First of my server setup:
CPU 1 AMD Opteron 6164 HE, 12x 1.70-3.20GHz, 2x 6MB Cache

CPU 2 AMD Opteron 6164 HE, 12x 1.70-3.20GHz, 2x 6MB Cache

CPU 3 AMD Opteron 6164 HE, 12x 1.70-3.20GHz, 2x 6MB Cache

CPU 4 AMD Opteron 6164 HE, 12x 1.70-3.20GHz, 2x 6MB Cache

SATA Supermicro SAS818TQ Backplane

RAM 96GB ECC DDR3, 1333Mhz, (24x 4GB)

Motherboard :Supermicro H8QGi+-F

I recently installed esxi 6.5 on my supermicro server. For that I removed much of the ram because of an Bug I had while installing esxi where it was stuck at booting the kernel because of the amount of ram.

So after the install, i put back in the ram but instead of 96 gb the bios only displayed 73 GB! I made a picture before removing the ram, to put it back in after the install correctly. But now some ram sticks don't get recognized. The strange thing is that the missing ram (23 Gb) is about the amount of one block. 1 Block contains 6 memory modules at 4 GB, so 24 gb. I highly doubt that 6 modules were destroyed by taking them out and putting them back in. One more thing: the ramsticks are 2 different models, I always used the one ramstick which is separated and was never removed as guideline for the other modules model number.

Thx for any help

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Sounds very much like you have some bad ram, ram socket or even cpu in the mix.
Always have the slowest ram in the lowest number sockets.

Maybe somebody with specific experience on that hardware could give a better guess.

I wound get some alcohol and clean the ram contacts just in case as well.

Feb 9, 2021
Okey i managed to fix it:

After testing all the ram sticky, taking one out, booting saw if memory changed and then repeated the process, i found out that one memory module was not recognized and thus disabled any other ram sitting in the same block. After i cleaned the suspicious modules contact with some ethanol alcohol and put it back in, all the ram got recognized perfectly.

Feb 9, 2021
Okey i managed to fix it:

After testing all the ram sticky, taking one out, booting saw if memory changed and then repeated the process, i found out that one memory module was not recognized and thus disabled any other ram sitting in the same block. After i cleaned the suspicious modules contact with some ethanol alcohol and put it back in, all the ram got recognized perfectly.
Thx for the idea with the alcohol ;)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Glad it was an easy fix.

RAM is way more tolerant of miss treatment or whatever than people realize, in days gone by sure it was super sensitive and easy to kill, these days not so bad.

A little alcohol is a good trick, i use isopropyl and would advise that’s what people should use but best it’s 99.x% or else you know what else is in,, water :)