Reset a Asrock Rack E3C236D2I

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
Hi,

I got an sick E3C236D2I which I would like to recover if possible.

Basically I am no longer able to enter the bios setup - I goes from "DXE--PCI Bus Enumeraton..." to OS boot, without me being able to press F2 or <DEL>.

I've looked but I can't see if there is a way to reset the bios somehow - without being able to enter it. Any idea?

Thanks.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
Does it do that when you unplug the OS storage as well?
I've unplugged everything - and now that the OS disk is gone it no longer get further than "DXE--PCI Bus Enumeration...".

I had hoped to be able to boot it off an USB to reflash the BIOS, but that looks the be impossible. And the manual does not mention anything about "emergency recover".

Looks like I'll have to retire this board.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
I've unplugged everything - and now that the OS disk is gone it no longer get further than "DXE--PCI Bus Enumeration...".

I had hoped to be able to boot it off an USB to reflash the BIOS, but that looks the be impossible. And the manual does not mention anything about "emergency recover".

Looks like I'll have to retire this board.
Yup, it's dead. Sad as I liked the E3 1245v6 I used with it.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
FW BMC and BIOS chip is in a socket right ?
you can buy new chips with BIOS programmed, or flash yourself if you have ch341a or similiar at home.

Reactions: casperghst42

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
FW BMC and BIOS chip is in a socket right ?
you can buy new chips with BIOS programmed, or flash yourself if you have ch341a or similiar at home.
I will look into that - it would be new stuff for me as I've never done anything like that. For now I'll put it on a shelve and then look at it during the long dark winter months. Thank you.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Does the BMC still respond? Because it might be possible to reset and flash the firmware from there. In addition, it might even use the wrong console to output the messages (i.e. SoL vs. VGA vs. LVDS and all you're getting is some UEFI output but not the actual interface).

As a secondary avenue, you might also be able to use efibootmgr (if using Linux) to simply tell UEFI to boot into the settings. From windows this is more of a hit-and-miss due to their toy-esque UEFI integration.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
Does the BMC still respond? Because it might be possible to reset and flash the firmware from there. In addition, it might even use the wrong console to output the messages (i.e. SoL vs. VGA vs. LVDS and all you're getting is some UEFI output but not the actual interface).

As a secondary avenue, you might also be able to use efibootmgr (if using Linux) to simply tell UEFI to boot into the settings. From windows this is more of a hit-and-miss due to their toy-esque UEFI integration.

BMC does respond and I have full access. Oh, I suddenly realize that ASRock might give access to update the BIOS via the BMC, which I fully forgot as I mostly use SM boards (where you need a license).

But that is basically it, it jump directly from "DXE--PCI Bus Enumeraton..." to OS boot, there is no boot menu or anything else. If I disconnect the SSD and try to book of an USB it hangs at "DXE--PCI Bus Enumeraton...".

I will try with efiboomgr if the BIOS upgrade via BMC is not possible.

Thank you.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
Just an update, I found (after re-reading the manual) an option to reset the CMOS which fixed the problem. Now I need to move the MB back to my server (which will take a bit).

Thank you for the help.

Reactions: RolloZ170