Resellers are becoming a nightmare for homelab'ers!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I can't name companies, they're not only getting recycling contracts, they also have employees dedicated to prowling eBay and buying up private sales of 'popular' items. Now we all know the counter argument of it being a free market and capitalism etc etc etc...

However, keep in mind that when you find something really good, and the seller has a fair few in quantity to offload at totally realistic affordable prices, if you do list it in the Great Deals section, the companies I shall not name will buy up everything, yes they prowl here!. After a week or so, the same stuff miraculously appears back on eBay at nearly twice or close to list price even though it is no longer sold by manufacturer.

Unfortunately we cannot stop this, because we have no idea who is who and there really isn't any point in even making the Great Deals section for members only considering the additional counter argument of SEO advantages etc, plus it would be impossible to 'vet' members.

However to give you an idea of what I grabbed off of ebay in the past 6 months within minutes of items being listed and YES this hardware is for personal use as I'm forever changing things (restless techie in a way I guess, I'm never happy)...

1) Quadro 4000 RTX for £300 - brand new.
2) Samsung PM1725A 6.4tb x 2 - £500 - brand new.
3) Once purchasing the Samsung AICs, the seller also sold an off-list server to me, £2000 (though I had to collect) for a brand new Dell R840 with 4 platinum 8170 cpus and 256gb. The gent was basically selling up hardware kept in storage at his design company who closed down their IT department and outsourced everything to Lanware. This server is currently being borrowed by a friend as I don't need it right now and more than happy for it to be put to good use until I do need the extra horsepower.

Now the Quadro seller had 3 more RTX's available, sold in a flash literally a minute after mine. I asked him who they were all sold to, he told me the name, and it is the one company I absolutely despise on eBay because I've known them to grab everything, they have the budget to do so and then the nerve to bang everything back on at literally less than 20% off list prices, but they add the "We warrant all our items for xyz long" so I guess they're in a sweet spot with small/mid-size businesses at the expense of homelabs.

There really is no full-proof way of sharing great deals without these stooges of reseller businesses getting wind, so unfortunately I refuse to share deals going forward in the best interests of fellow homelabs. I have no idea why ebay likes me so much as it is constantly throwing amazing deals in my face, but when I search for said item using my other half's account it doesn't even appear.

I just hope fellow homelab'ers eBay search skills and timing are good enough to grab what they can before such businesses buy up everything, because these businesses are our worst enemies and I've noticed more and more joining their fold as homelabs is now a 'thing' where once it was the niche of uber-geeks. But as I said earlier, there is nothing we can do about it, but we can slow them down by not mentioning great deals where a large number of items are being sold on ebay.

I think all need to remember that plenty fellow homelab'ers are prowling ebay waiting for such items to appear at reasonable prices, but by listing in the Great Deals section, we effectively are potentially taking that opportunity away from them by placing a homing-beacon on said listing for resellers to horde.

I suggest calling this 'pro-active damage control' in the best interests of Homelab budgets.

I appreciate the above topic is a fairly emotional one for some, but it is what it is, a real issue which is getting worse.

Last edited:

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
This issue has been around for a while and people also have been talking about it. But there is nothing much we can do to "fix" it. We have no control to stop vendor/reseller buying everything off from great deal. It's how they run their business to stay alive or make profit. It's nothing wrong at their standing point, but i agree it's indeed might hurt the homelab community. And sometimes i thank them to do so because my money will stay in my own pocket instead of spending. There is always next great deal, and you will feel much better by thinking i don't even need any of the homelab to stay alive.

Brian Puccio

Jul 26, 2014
It’s not just IT stuff either. On Garage Journal, they have a deals section for tools and there are complaints there of people buying out whatever is posted to flip online, to the detriment of the home-gamer who finds the deals sold out before they can act.

Reactions: Dreece

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
This issue has been around for a while and people also have been talking about it. But there is nothing much we can do to "fix" it. We have no control to stop vendor/reseller buying everything off from great deal. It's how they run their business to stay alive or make profit. It's nothing wrong at their standing point, but i agree it's indeed might hurt the homelab community. And sometimes i thank them to do so because my money will stay in my own pocket instead of spending. There is always next great deal, and you will feel much better by thinking i don't even need any of the homelab to stay alive.
You are missing the point. I have zero interest in peoples choice of income generation. I am only interested in thinking about homelab'ers and that it is best to not post deals of products where 'quantity' is more than just the one. And if we're going to discuss stopping people from spending, well then by not having a listing, it helps them keep to what they already had planned to purchase without going off on wallet tangents.

Also I am more than aware of this issue being discussed countless times, I said my piece to add to those 'countless' others. I proposed a solution to 'help', not to cure.

kapone

May 23, 2015
There's other ways...

Stop buying from these recyclers. Period. Until the price drops to what you expect it to be, just don't buy it. They do not have an unlimited budget. And it is simple enough to do on Ebay. In the "Filters" section you can exclude sellers. To give you an idea...

Here's a search without any filters: "Supermicro 2u" - a very generic search. I simply filtered out items that were not in North America, and must be Buy-It-Now. It produced 7,909 results at this time, in Computers/Tablets & Networking. (side note...WTF is wrong with Ebay...they can never get their categories right...)

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.41.37 PM.png

Now, I apply filters that I have saved...hint...the recyclers...

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.44.52 PM.png

Almost NINETY % of the search results were from recyclers. Wanna know who they were?? Look at the bottom of the filter section. Just EIGHT sellers were excluded, resulting in a 90% reduction in search results.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.46.53 PM.png

And I have these filters set pretty much permanently.