Required cooling for X10SDV-F?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Aden

Jun 10, 2015
Hi, I'm considering building a small system using a X10SDV-F, and looking around most of the reviews and discussion are around X10SDV-TLN4F (i.e. 10GbE + active fan)

What's the experience on X10SDV-F? Does it require a fan blowing over the passive HSF (even with the 10GbE removed), or can I get away with "usual" case exhaust airflow?

Thanks!

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Assuming you are running a 1U case, it requires a fan to be blowing THROUGH it. Exhaust fan holds little priority.

Aden

Jun 10, 2015
Assuming you are running a 1U case, it requires a fan to be blowing THROUGH it. Exhaust fan holds little priority.
No, I'm not using a server rack case; there's a little bit more vertical space above the board.
Does that make any difference?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
You can use a >500 rpm 120mm or 140mm fan above if you want silent cooling. Quiet enough you won't hear it and helps keep everything cool.

I don't know if you need it, but we've given our boards some airflow. That heatsink is really small. OK if there's airflow but a 45w part with that small of a HSF and no airflow isn't a recipe for success.

Diverge

Feb 24, 2014
It definitely needs some cooling. I have the board right in a UNAS case, and bought a few different fans for it. Currently using a noctua NF-A9x14

Matti

Jun 14, 2015
I tried to run this board in a Lian Li PC-Q25 case only with two case coolers, but the CPU became so hot that the System crashed. I have now mounted a Noiseblocker BlackSilent XR1 (60mm) on top of the heatsink and with this the CPU temperature is just fine between 50 and 55 °C. So I would never recommend to use the board without CPU cooling.

The possibilities to tune the fan speeds are a bit poor in my opinion. You only have the choice between Standard (which will let my fans stop and start over and over again because the voltage is too low), High I/O (which I am using now) and Maximum. Fan Settings are configured in the IPMI and not in the BIOS.

BioGuy

Aug 13, 2015
I just ordered this board, do you know if any aftermarket cpu coolers will fit (socket 775, 1150, 2011, etc)? I'd be interested in putting a larger passive cooler and have a case fan.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would have to go pull one to look, but I am not sure if they would. The Xeon D SoC is small and max 45w so it was not designed for the higher TDP parts like other sockets were. Really all you need is to get some airflow through the heatsink and you are set.

danmain

Jan 15, 2016
I think going for an exhaust is not good.you should stuck a cooling fan into it.I was also in the same situation months ago then was fedup of its working so replaced it by Manalapan hvac service cooling systems and now its working absolutely fine.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Hi, I'm considering building a small system using a X10SDV-F, and looking around most of the reviews and discussion are around X10SDV-TLN4F (i.e. 10GbE + active fan)

What's the experience on X10SDV-F? Does it require a fan blowing over the passive HSF (even with the 10GbE removed), or can I get away with "usual" case exhaust airflow?

Thanks!
That's a good management. I think it needs a cooling system.

wazoo42

Apr 13, 2016
My temps at full load (using a computational quantum mechanics or the HPL benchmarking software) were 58 - 65 C.

I first tried lapping the heatsink as it had a noticeable bow and a fairly rough surface. That plus Arctic Silver 5 did not change the load temps.

I bought a replacement heatsink, which has 25 mm fins instead of 12 mm fins. Again, no noticeable improvement.

Then I bought a 60-to-80-mm fan adapter (and made a custom adapter plate to attach to the heatsink shroud) and tried larger fans having decent static pressure capabilities. The Sunon 80 mm (Sunon 80mm Fan - 3-pin (KD1208PTB2) - FrozenCPU.com) was the only one providing a noticeable improvement - load temps 55 - 60 C.

My latest effort was to have custom 70 mm x 70 mm x 40 mm heatsinks made (I bought 10 b/c it was the same price as buying 2 and I knew I would need at least 3). Paired with the Sunon fan the load temps dropped by 8 - 12 C. With the computational quantum mechanics calculations the load temps with all 8 cores at max are now 45 - 52 C.

My next step is to make custom fan adapter shrouds to better attach the fan to the heatsink.

Attachments