Request for testing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey All,

If possible, could you please let me know if/ where you are seeing broken images on the main site. I am trying out using Amazon CloudFront CDN to reduce page load times (a few seconds times tens of thousands of users per month = probably a nice thing to do.) You may notice me turning this on/ off a bit over the next few days as I get the config set. Test server was OK but it is not an exact copy of production and I have had to make some additional DNS edits.

I think the logo is not showing up which I cannot figure out why it is not working, but other than that I wanted to see if people saw something else strange.

Hosting costs have gone through the roof lately thanks to dealing with tons of spammers and such so I am trying to move to something that is faster and more cost-effective.

Cheers,
Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ok I turned on photos also coming from the CDN. Keep me posted if anyone sees anything.

Just so folks know, I basically am now serving images from the Amazon cloud using their CloudFront content delivery network. The goal is twofold:
1. that images/ content will be served from closer servers (originally everything came from a Los Angeles data center)
2. that images/ content can be pulled in a more parallel fashion. I think I am up to 6-8 elements being pulled at a time per page versus two at a time last week

You will see things like images being pulled from media1.servethehome.com (and 2 and 3 currently) to enable #2 above.

I wanted to make these changes before the next big STH push.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Main site loads noticably faster...
Great feedback! Keep me posted on how you like this. I have been toying with a media4.servethehome.com but I don't know if it is necessary. Right now I'm just hoping this all works. Also, international users should see a lot faster load times. I saw last night when I was still doing minor tweaks that the Euro, Japan, and Singapore sites were distributing files also.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
Main site loads quicker here, too.

One odd thing that I haven't noticed before - when loading on an iPhone most of the time the right half of the icons for each forum aren't loading - whether it's grey for no new posts or blue for new posts (or whatever the difference is, something along those lines iirc) I am now only seeing the left half of the square. Could be an issue on my end but it has only just started happening - anyone else noticing this? :S

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Very odd. The main site has all of the changes while the forum has not gotten the CDN treatment. Not sure why that changed. Will test on my iPad when I get in later today.