Request for Guidance on processor choice please

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

shinta0saint

Sep 26, 2017
PS I found a request like this online, I just modified what were my own requirements.
I would like to run unraid, but I'm still on the fence, considering freenas.

I am currently in the process of choosing parts for my first Unraid build and was hoping to get some advice on the processor. I recently got a great deal on a used motherboard Supermicro X10srl-f

**NAS Uses:**

* **Primary purpose:** Backup for critical files, Media Server, Dockers, Plex Server (Up to 2 1080p/sometimes one 4k stream transcoding)(plan to buy a GTX1060 eventually), Home Security DVR for cameras 2-4 1080p, Personal Cloud music player (spotify alternative),)

Media Finder/Downloader/Metadata/Organize (Sonarr, Radarr, Linarr, uTorrent, Sabnzbd, Plexply etc..),

* **Secondary purpose:** Virtual Machines (Maybe 1 or 2 max at once - web browsing & email), Gaming (I would like the ability to run steam), Remote Access,

**Front End Clients:**

*Fire TV

* Fire Stick

* Nvidia Shield

* HTPC

* Tablets

So I've narrowed my CPU choices down to the below: Requirements (High Base Frequency and moderate core count) please advise me if low frequency higher core count cpus are better suited.

* **Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz** Core: 6 12T- (Passmark: 13631) - price is decent for used processors, will this be able to handle everything I listed above? If not what will I not be able to do or be able to do lol?

**Intel Xeon E5-2667 v3 @3.2ghz**

Core:8 - (Passmark:16011), a bit pricy when compared to ryzen offerings. If I can keep it close to the pricing of e5-1650v3 it would be preferred.

* **Intel Xeon E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz** Core: 4 - (Passmark: 9747) - price is very affordable! I plan to run with this for the while for basic Nas and plex duties, 2 DVR home security cameras and wait for prices of more powerful processors to fall and upgrade later on to do more advanced stuff listed above (though I'd rather have the ability to do it now!)

Do you guys think I can get away with the 1650? Or should I consider the lower clocked processors with more core like the e5-2640v3 (8 core 16T) 13864 passmark @2.6Ghz, or e5-2680v3 (12core,24T) 18000 passmark @2.5Ghz? Will the lower frequency put me at a disadvantage for gaming, vms, plex and DVR home security cameras and everything else? Thank you in advance to anyone who responds to my request

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
First thing I would do is remove the "one 4k transcode" from the equation. You should not transcode 4k as there is no HDR tone mapping yet and this I wouldnt design a build around that requirement since a single 4k transcode can require 10-15k passmark alone depending the original bitrate. You can use a Tautulli script to prevent 4k transcodes or separate your 4k media into different libraries.

In regard to the gaming, how heavy of gaming are we talking? Do you have any power/heat restrictions?

Also what is your budget?

Last edited:
Reactions: Evan

shinta0saint

Sep 26, 2017
First thing I would do is remove the "one 4k transcode" from the equation. You should not transcode 4k as there is no HDR tone mapping yet and this I wouldnt design a build around that requirement since a single 4k transcode can require 10-15k passmark alone depending the original bitrate. You can use a Tautulli script to prevent 4k transcodes or separate your 4k media into different libraries.

In regard to the gaming, how heavy of gaming are we talking? Do you have any power/heat restrictions?

Also what is your budget?
Good Day IamSpartacus,

Thank you for responding, much appreciated. I have no problem removing the 4k transcoding. It was just a nice to have. I will consider your recommendation. I don't have any power restrictions as power is cheap where I live. Heat is not an issue (I hope) as I'll use a tower style cooler noctua nh-d9x i4 3u.
The games I like to play are adventure based, Far Cry, Resident Evil, Sniper Elite, Devil May Cry, always wanted to play battle field though I feel that will be asking to much .

Best regards
Shane

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Also my processor budget is max at 250us for used processors on ebay.
Might want to consider something like a Threadripper 1920x or 1950x or you can find a good deal. Since they have two numa nodes you can isolate one entire die for a gaming VM and get excellent gaming performance. I did this with a 1950x in Unraid and it was great.

shinta0saint

Sep 26, 2017
Might want to consider something like a Threadripper 1920x or 1950x or you can find a good deal. Since they have two numa nodes you can isolate one entire die for a gaming VM and get excellent gaming performance. I did this with a 1950x in Unraid and it was great.
Thanks, I will consider for the next build, I already have a Supermicro 2011v3 motherboard so I plan to maximize it, which processor you think I should go with the high base frequency 1650 6Core12t? The 2667 8Core 16T?
or a lower base frequency higher core count cpu like the 2680 12core 24T cpu?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Thanks, I will consider for the next build, I already have a Supermicro 2011v3 motherboard so I plan to maximize it, which processor you think I should go with the high base frequency 1650 6Core12t? The 2667 8Core 16T?
or a lower base frequency higher core count cpu like the 2680 12core 24T cpu?
Ive you want to be gaming at decent resolution's I'd suggest you get the higher core clock 1650 or 2667 since you'll already be taking a performance hit by sharing the CPU with the rest of the system. The 2680 v3 is a great value CPU (I recently ran a build with 1 and then 2 of them) but it was not used for gaming.

Reactions: shinta0saint

shinta0saint

Sep 26, 2017
Ive you want to be gaming at decent resolution's I'd suggest you get the higher core clock 1650 or 2667 since you'll already be taking a performance hit by sharing the CPU with the rest of the system. The 2680 v3 is a great value CPU (I recently ran a build with 1 and then 2 of them) but it was not used for gaming.
Thank you will consider.
Take care.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Is ECC a requirement? If not and you want to maximize freq for gaming, i5-8600ks have sold well under $200 on ebay and have 6 cores, not HT though.

shinta0saint

Sep 26, 2017
Is ECC a requirement? If not and you want to maximize freq for gaming, i5-8600ks have sold well under $200 on ebay and have 6 cores, not HT though.
Good day analurk,

Unfortunate it is a requirement lol, the board I have supports it and I can easily source affordable ram for it lol

Regards
Shane

shinta0saint

Sep 26, 2017
Good day analurk,

Unfortunate it is a requirement lol, the board I have supports it and I can easily source affordable ram for it lol

Regards
Shane