Request for ethtool dump - tracking the missing 40000baseLR4!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mattaw, Oct 27, 2018.

1. mattaw

mattaw Member

From it's specifications it looks like the dual qsfp connectx-3 has 3W qsfp support including LR4. From the firmware release notes 40gb support:
    QSFP-40G-SR-BD
    MC2210511-LR4

Some internet posts of ethtool run on this show supported link types of 40000baseLR4/Full. 56 GbE over a ConnectX-3 VPI adapter | Mellanox Interconnect Community

My card, cross flashed HP, 2.42.5000, doesn't show it in ethtool.

Bad flash or firmware update or only genuine cards have it?

If you are running a connect x3 qsfp can you post your firmware version and ethtool dump? Also any high power qsfp that worked (univ, bd, lr4...)

Thanks

Can someone post an ethtool <connectx-3> in this thread, along with firmware version and actual card brand?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Kaini Industries

are you looking for 40gbase-LR4 or 40gbase-KR4? KR4 is an extremely limited backplane PHY protocol, like for 2 feet of pcb traces or less, usually used to get 40gb over a backplane connector in a chassis, nothing to do with LR4

3. mattaw

mattaw Member

LR4, definitely. I made a mistake in the title. It won't let me report my own thread for a mod to change and it doesn't look like I can edit it anymore either. Thoughts?

[I got curious after our last thread and I enjoy fixing things, messing with firmware and in extreme cases breaking out the soldering iron.]

4. lambda

lambda New Member

Just in case you want to try some inexpensive LR4 optics, I found this on eBay.
    BRAND NEW ! KAIAM QSFP + - LR4 40GBASE XQX2100 | eBay

mattaw likes this.
  5. mattaw

mattaw Member

They are nice. I wondered if the LR4L would be lower power consumption? About the same price :
    Arista QSFP-40G-LRL4-US (US Critical) 40GBase-IR4 QSFP+

Before I bought more shiny things, I was hoping someone could give me an answer on whether that the higher power optics would work in a crossflashed Connectx-3 card. I have another thread trying to get some Fiberstore BiDi's working which I failed at. The BiDi's also get very hot, the server needs a lot of airflow to support them (900 lfpm)

6. mattaw

mattaw Member

So the FS BiDi's didn't work (bear in mind they were purchased off eBay so may not have been good). I currently have 2x Arista programmed QSFP-40G-LRL4's installed in the card and they are working fine over about 22m of OM1! I guess the LR just pushes enough juice through the fiber to work. At some point I should pull some SMF to see if I can get the power down.