Report: HP 453156-001 works fine in AOC-STGN-I2S Intel X520-DA2 82599EB Copy

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Hey,

If you're like me, you may have obsessed over whether or not your SFP(+) transceiver would work in your Intel X520-DA2 card. I spent about 3 hours obsessing on the internet before I finally just bought the cheapest transceiver I could find. I couldn't see spending tons of money on an SFP to RJ-45 adapter when all I needed was 1Gbps for a connection to a cable modem, so I pulled the trigger on this transceiver and there appears to be absolutely no problem.

My "Intel X520" is really a Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S, I say that because I'm not sure if the knock-offs are more likely to be compatible with a wider variety of transceiver brands, and it's also an SFP transceiver, so SFP = 1Gbps vs SFP+ = 10Gbps. I had read somewhere people had better luck with different brands being compatible if they were just 1Gbps (SFP) and not 10Gbps (SFP+).

This is all totally hearsay or informed speculation except the fact that in my case, my transceiver works with my card, and at least there's one more confirmed to be working out there people can hopefully rely on. If I can help just one person not have to spend the 3 hours on the internet I did trying to figure out which one to buy, it'll be a post worth writing.

Oh yeah, I'm using it on ESXi 7.0U2 with pfSense 2.5.2 VM (passthrough).

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
I haven't tried a whole lot of different modules in these cards, but I know there's a lot of them floating around out there, so I thought I'd mention a few more:

Arista XVR-00001-02 SFP-10G-SR
Dell 0C5RNH SFP+ SR

Going to try a Ubiquiti UF-MM-10G next, will report back

This compatibility matrix also helpful to some degree: Networking Cables and Transceivers Compatibility Matrix | Supermicro