Replacing SuperMicro mid-chassis fans

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Defcon1

Aug 18, 2016
I have a SM 846 chassis with 3 80mm mid chassis fans. I bought Arctic F8 fans to replace the default ones (to reduce noise and power) but seller sent me the wrong ones which were not PWM - now I need to order new fans and looking for suggestions.

I can get the F8 PWM again, another option I've seen is people who replace the fan wall with a Norco one and add 3 120mm fans. Like this -

How hard is this to do, do you need any tools etc, any guides? Are the results worth it?

Attachments

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Defcon1 that is a super scary build to me.

First, the cables are not tied. Over time, there is a decent chance one migrates into those large fans even with the grills.
Second, the fan wall is secured in place by some foam (taped?) and some fan to fan connectors. That does not seem secure especially if the fans or foam fail.
Third, generally you want heatsinks aligned with overall chassis airflow. Those heatsinks are the wrong type and orientation.

Removing existing fan walls generally takes a screwdriver and 3 minutes (more if there are many existing cables.) You are likely better off using PWM fans and controlling speed than embarking on a similar project. That is advice from several similar projects and not being happy with the long term results.

Replacing with the new PWM fans may be a good idea. You can also just lower the speed of your existing fans and save a lot of money.

Reactions: Fritz

Defcon1

Aug 18, 2016
@Defcon1 that is a super scary build to me.

First, the cables are not tied. Over time, there is a decent chance one migrates into those large fans even with the grills.
Second, the fan wall is secured in place by some foam (taped?) and some fan to fan connectors. That does not seem secure especially if the fans or foam fail.
Third, generally you want heatsinks aligned with overall chassis airflow. Those heatsinks are the wrong type and orientation.

Removing existing fan walls generally takes a screwdriver and 3 minutes (more if there are many existing cables.) You are likely better off using PWM fans and controlling speed than embarking on a similar project. That is advice from several similar projects and not being happy with the long term results.

Replacing with the new PWM fans may be a good idea. You can also just lower the speed of your existing fans and save a lot of money.
Sorry, that's not my build :) I found that pic to try and show the fan wall arrangement, and I agree with you that it doesn't look very secure.

Here's what my current server looks like -

It has passive heatsinks which I may have to replace with active ones later on. Is the Arctic F8 still a good choice for fan with good static pressure, airflow and low noise?

Attachments

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
The F8 fans are fine if:
You only have 5400rpm drives
You have active CPU coolers
Your storage controller has an active cooler

They won't provide enough pressure or airflow for your setup unless you're idle 99% of the time.

Defcon1

Aug 18, 2016
The F8 fans are fine if:
You only have 5400rpm drives
You have active CPU coolers
Your storage controller has an active cooler

They won't provide enough pressure or airflow for your setup unless you're idle 99% of the time.
No, no, and no.

So what do you suggest? Is there any fan thats better than the original fans and is quieter? I'd prefer if they were 80mm and fit in the fan cages, but I am willing to look at 120mm fans too if they are better.

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
I'd suggest putting in a 3x120mm "fan wall" as per one the first photo you posted. The wire grills on the fans will be fine. I agree with Patrick that the cable management needs to be addressed. Mounting can look suspect, but if you aren't regularly moving the case, you won't have any problems with it falling over. Double sided tape can be pretty strong, and the photo you provided shows bracing on both sides of the fan. You'll need to close the gap between the top of the fans and the top cover with another piece of foam or plastic.

With 3 x 80mm F8 fans on the wall, 10 x 6TB 7200RPM drives were idling at over 50C in my 846. Switching to 3 x 120mm 1200RPM 'fan wall' (removing the metal fan wall and jamming in the fans) brought my drive temps down over 10C.

For your CPU heatsinks, get new ones. Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4.

For the storage controller there are several options:
EVERCOOL SB-F2 Case Fan-Newegg.com
Aliexpress.com : Buy PCI Side blown Graphics card cooling fan mount bracket from Reliable fan heater and cooler suppliers on XpressHotDeals
http://www.moddiy.com/products/modDIY-PCI-Slot-Fan-Mounting-Kit-(80{47}90mm-Fan-x-2).htm

SHNS0

Sep 19, 2016
What brand/model are the SM stock ones?

From my limited experience and generally speaking, barely any consumer fan has a performance/noise ratio as good as server fans, but it really depends on the single models. Those Arctic P8 are a mid-end consumer fan and they might easily not hold a candle to what you currently have at the same rpm/noise footprint.

If you're looking for 120mm fans, I always use and recommend to anyone Delta AFB1212SH PWM. They can be found crazy cheap on eBay with availability everywhere (5-6€ here in EU), and with PWM they can go from 500 to 3500 rpm. There is also the 38mm thick version for even more pressure, Delta AFB1212SHE.

Reactions: pgh5278