Replacing Supermicro cooler with Noctua cooler on Supermicro tower build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

freemarket

Nov 29, 2015
Florida
Hi,
Currently have Threadripper Pro 3975WX with a Supermicro SNK0064AP4 cooler whose single fan blows air straight through the sink towards the rear. This is a bit too loud for me at around 28 Db as the case SC743AC-1000-SQ also has 4 fans in the middle for the storage section as well as rear fans. The Noctua NH-U9 TR4/SP3 shows compatibility with a following note:

Supermicro M12SWA-TF | Motherboard Compatibility | Noctua Compatibility Centre

Compatible in horizontal orientation only (= fan(s) blowing towards the motherboard top)

Which in my case with the Chassis laying on its side with the top open which is the side with the quick release, the cooler is blowing towards the bottom of the case as the massive internal fans will push air out towards the back.

Does this sound like a safe setup to operate this in? I have not turned on the system yet.

Here's a picture of the original Supermicro cooler:

IMG_2916-scaled.png

and here's a picture of the noctua cooler. Note the fans are perpendicular.

IMG_2920-scaled.png
Thanks,
Henry

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
you can try a Noctua NH-D9 DX3647(4189) which has the correct orientation for you.
each TR4/SP3/LGA3647 cooler can converted to a LGA4189 one by replacing the mounting brackets.
but this means that every LGA3647/4189 can be installes on TR4/SP3 with the correct brackets.

Note: some coolers can not usable converted to LGA4189 because the torx T30 screws are not accessible.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Make sure the noctua cooler fits into the chassis (with my x10sra the noctua heatsink was in the way and I could not close the 745 chassis)

The airflow with the noctua setup will be sub-optimal and the fans might run faster to compensate for the warmer air.

My personal setup for the threadripper pro would be the supermicro 2u cooler + 743/745 air shroud :D

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
With enough case airflow, the setup will still work, even if the fan orientation on the CPU cooler is not ideal.
Judging by the clearance in your picture, there is nothing stopping you from just mounting the CPU cooler fans in a front-to-back orientation. You just need to come up with a slightly janky mounting solution. Zip ties are your friends ;)
Things can be improved further by improvising an air duct that seals off the cooler faces the fans are currently attached to.