Replacing SM SC836 Power Distribution Module

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

metag

Apr 26, 2016
I am trying to replace the existing PDB with Supermicro 23-Pairs Power Distributor (PDB-PT826-8824) so that I can replace the PSUs with 1280W PWS-1K28P-SQ . However, after removing all screws that I can identify, the PDB still cannot be removed. Has anyone done this before and have a tip or two to share? Any manual/instructions will be appreciated!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
However, after removing all screws that I can identify, the PDB still cannot be removed.
Checked top, side and bottom (inside) ? Sometimes they are hard to see with all the cables

metag

Apr 26, 2016
Checked top, side and bottom (inside) ? Sometimes they are hard to see with all the cables
Top, outside, inside for sure. Bottom...I don't think I can access that unless I remove the motherboard. Are you sure the bottom is secured too? I checked the PDB I have, there are only three screw holes in total located on the top and both sides.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Nah not sure, but sometimes things (backplane for example) are also screwed on to the bottom. The screws are reachable from the inside, not from the actual bottom, just hidden behind cables sometimes.
Can't access mine atm, so no clue and can't remember from the last time I replaced a PDB.

But it was not that difficult, so either you're missing something or its just stuck. Pry it up gently with a screwdriver on one side and see where its stuck and look around that area for screws

metag

Apr 26, 2016
Thanks all. Prying did the trick. Turns out that was the easy part: unplugging then plugging back the molex cables in a place so tight is no fun. I cannot imagine how people with bigger hands do it.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Thanks all. Prying did the trick. Turns out that was the easy part: unplugging then plugging back the molex cables in a place so tight is no fun. I cannot imagine how people with bigger hands do it.
Pliers help a lot... like in this part of one of my vids: