Replacing redundant 3U PSU with ATX or SFX PSU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

binarypatrick

Dec 20, 2022
I'm looking for a chassis to host a homelab server. Because the server will be in my office I'm aiming for quiet as possible, so I want to replace the redundant 1U PSUs with something quieter. I think I've seen replacement brackets for blade style PSU that can convert a 2U or 3U into a ATX or SFX PSU. Does anyone have any experience with something like that? or have any recommendations? I want to have hot swap cages on the front, so I've been looking at the Chenbro RM31616. I've also looked at the Rosewill RSV-L4412U, but everything I've read online says it has crappy cages and is a pain to put on rails.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
In my experience, it's going to be highly dependent on the specific chassis you're using, and the space available inside (for example, my SuperMicro SC846 *barely* has enough room between the edge of the motherboard and the chassis wall to fit an ATX PSU, and even then I can't have it flush with the rear panel.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Laying out some options

1. Your original idea: convert hot-swap PSU to standard ATX - works fine if you can find a good chassis.
2. Quieter hotswap PSUs: Supermicro and others have quiet versions of their PSUs (e.g. the "SQ" models).
3. Chassis that natively supports an ATX PSU: e.g. the CSE-743, still has a managed backplane though it's direct attach rather than expander and I've found some newer cards (e.g. Broadcom 9400) don't like to manage these.

binarypatrick

Dec 20, 2022
I just bought the SuperChassis CSE-836TQ on ebay. From the dimensions I could get from part numbers, I *think* an SFX power supply will work in it's place, I just may need to find/create a mounting bracket or tap some screw holes.

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
I would strongly recommend checking out the superquiet/SQ power supplies. Surprisingly quiet operation without having to damage the chassis with questionable modifications. Add lower speed SM fans (the green ones IIRC) in chassis and you should be golden.

suineg

Jun 10, 2017
In my experience, it's going to be highly dependent on the specific chassis you're using, and the space available inside (for example, my SuperMicro SC846 *barely* has enough room between the edge of the motherboard and the chassis wall to fit an ATX PSU, and even then I can't have it flush with the rear panel.
Hate to dredge this up out of nowhere but do you have pics of this? I was thinking about doing this for an easier way of getting an RTX 3090 powered on.