Replacing Backplane in Supermicro SC846TQ

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
Awesome. Is there anything else that would need to be replaced to get the job done? No small retaining brackets or anything? Would rather know upfront than find out i'm missing some small pieces.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Nothing extra is needed. But the non SAS expander backplane can handle sas2/Sata 6.0 speeds just fine. If using the direct connect backplane don't forget to purchase your SAS cables cheap on monoprice.com. I personally replaced my direct connect backplanes with the single SAS expander backplanes and it was very easy, and cable management was much better this way than using my chenbro SAS expander and direct attach backplane.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
@Triggerhappy Did you end up doing this swap? Where did you buy the backplane?

Also, do the health lights work on the SAS expander backplane? (I'm primarily interested in controlling them via linux)

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
@Triggerhappy Did you end up doing this swap? Where did you buy the backplane?

Also, do the health lights work on the SAS expander backplane? (I'm primarily interested in controlling them via linux)
Unfortunately I never did get around to it. Wanted it more for cable management purposes but the cheapest I found the backplane was on the order of $400 so it just wasn't worth it at the time. May end up hunting a bit more next year for it.