Replacing a 9361-8i with 9560-16i and need to swap cables for backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
So far working with them the drivers they have provided will not compile under FreeBSD 13.0 so I am going back and forth with them on it. Still nothing functional as of right now.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
So far working with them the drivers they have provided will not compile under FreeBSD 13.0 so I am going back and forth with them on it. Still nothing functional as of right now.
Have you considered to switch to a different Linux flavor that has wider/easier driver support? Few popular OSes I already mentioned earlier.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Have you considered to switch to a different Linux flavor that has wider/easier driver support? Few popular OSes I already mentioned earlier.
Not at the moment - all servers here are baremetal FreeBSD or ESX. There is no Linux onsite and I am trying to avoid a one off. The Broadcom guys claim they are willing to troubleshoot and fix the drivers in the OS and check it into the FreeBSD code branches and genuinely seem like they want to. They are NOT distributing downloadable drivers any longer for FreeBSD though.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
Not at the moment - all servers here are baremetal FreeBSD or ESX. There is no Linux onsite and I am trying to avoid a one off. The Broadcom guys claim they are willing to troubleshoot and fix the drivers in the OS and check it into the FreeBSD code branches and genuinely seem like they want to. They are NOT distributing downloadable drivers any longer for FreeBSD though.
Are you saying Broadcom won't have downloadable FreeBSD driver for the newest SAS39xx or 38xx chips any more and it won't be in their roadmap? Though they have the driver for the previous generation controller ships (SAS35xx or SAS36xx).

Would you mind to tell if all of your setup in discussion is for the business environment or just for your personal homelab?

Last edited:

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Are you saying Broadcom won't have downloadable FreeBSD driver for the newest SAS39xx or 38xx chips any more and it won't be in their roadmap? Though they have the driver for the previous generation controller ships (SAS35xx or SAS36xx).

Would you mind to tell if all of your setup in discussion is for the business environment or just for your personal homelab?
Broadcom will no longer have FreeBSD drivers downloadable from their website. They will support the native drivers distributed in FreeBSD's distro only. The downside is that for example, the current driver included has some major issues and even once they fix them, they will check that into the STABLE branch and that will not be something normal folk under the RELEASE branch will get quickly so its a bit annoying. But support is still there I guess.

I operate an IT consulting business and this specific infrastructure is setup for the business (though its run out of my house). I have separate gear I use for personal junk.

Reactions: dbTH

Vidmo

Feb 3, 2017
Did any of you notice that Broadcom has removed all of the support pages and drivers for RAID cards older than the 9560? I went looking to see if there were any updates to my 9460-16i and the entire support page is gone.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Did any of you notice that Broadcom has removed all of the support pages and drivers for RAID cards older than the 9560? I went looking to see if there were any updates to my 9460-16i and the entire support page is gone.
Yes, they pulled all downloadable drivers and claim they will continue to support drivers released within the FreeBSD distributions only. My current issues have them working on testing as they clearly did not do much testing. The problem is my experience has been that for the past 5 years the native drivers have always had problems with R1 arrays and its literally one line of code that has to be removed and recompiled to fix it (the downloadable drivers never had that issue).

Vidmo

Feb 3, 2017
Its as if the RAID cards before the 9560 never existed. No drivers, no firmware updates, no support software, no documentation, literally all gone. Are they planning on doing the same for Windows drivers too? How will they get firmware updates out?

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Its as if the RAID cards before the 9560 never existed. No drivers, no firmware updates, no support software, no documentation, literally all gone. Are they planning on doing the same for Windows drivers too? How will they get firmware updates out?
Firmware is still posted if I recall but drivers weren't. Did they pull firmware now too?

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
The entire page is gone along with all other RAID cards except the 9560.
https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/raid-controllers/megaraid-9460-16i
Interesting, even looking at the download pages and searching for all are now limited to the 95xx series only while the firmware downloads do support the 9460 in many cases, older stuff is gone.

Reactions: Vidmo

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
They are still downloadable. They moved them ( 94xx and older product ) to the "Legacy Product" For example, here's is the download link for the latest 9460-16i firmware (released in Dec 2021) :

Reactions: smokey7722

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
Interesting, even looking at the download pages and searching for all are now limited to the 95xx series only while the firmware downloads do support the 9460 in many cases, older stuff is gone.

See my previous reply. They are still downloadable . But you have to search harder under "Legacy Product'

Reactions: smokey7722