Replacement suggestion for ASRock C2750CDI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Froberg

Dec 18, 2016
Hi all

Been a reader of STH for a long, long time. It's where I found the review for the board I have currently. My board is two years old in february, unfortunately it seems the Intel S-ATA controllers are fried. The raid array I had on them failed twice within a short timespan, I then switched between multiple distros and rebuilt - only to experience failure shortly after again.
I've now been running tests on a low-spec zyxel NAS to verify the integrity of my drives, and so far it's been ramming data on them for over 24 hours with zero issues.
It's still under warranty, due to the cushy laws we have in Denmark, I can get a replacement part or my money back for up to two years. I'm hoping to get a replacement, but in case of that not being possible, does anyone have suggestions for a replacement?
I specifically require a similar Mini ITX platform board with similar or greater processing power. I use it as a home server for heavy Plex usage, file services and some web hosting. Ideally six onboard S-ATA ports or greater is required.
I've been looking at a slew of boards on the review page, lots of promising options, but I was hoping that someone had real-world experience and would like to share.
I've been running Linux server variants, debian and Ubuntu previously, but I plan on adapting a KISS policy going forward and relying on Xpenology.
Thank you in advance, I hope someone has some good options!

songco

Dec 14, 2016
Xpenology on baremetal or on hypervisor? If on bare metal, I think low power CPU is enough.
If run it on hypervisor like esxi, XeonD is good choice, but there's one pcie slot(or m.2 ssd for ESXI/VMs? ) and maybe you need one HBA to passthrough sata controller to Xpenology.

Froberg

Dec 18, 2016
I was going to use it on baremetal, and maybe run some VM's inside Xpenology to reduce complexity. I just need a stable system now. ;)