Replacement raid controller on system x 3650 M5

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ingenetic

Mar 6, 2020
Hi everyone,

I wanna ask for some informartion, i have 1 server system x 3650 M5, using RAID 10, with 4 HDD, suddenly my server doesn't reboot correctly, there is a warning :

L2/L3 Cache error was detected on the RAID controller.
"Please contact technical support to resolve this issue. Press 'X' to continue or else power off the system, replace the controller and reboot.

Then i press x to continue, then the server boot normally to my centos 7,

For now, i have plan to replace the raid controller which model is SERVERAID MS1215 SAS/SATA,

I will replace it with the same model M1215 too,

The big question for me, is it my existing raid will be destroyed when i replace the raid controller? Or the hdd will detect raid normally because it's a same model then boot normally to my OS ?

Please advice.

Thankyou and regards,

InGenetic

kapone

May 23, 2015
You're using a RAID controller, without knowing how they work and how to replace them??

Ingenetic

Mar 6, 2020
i'm using Raid 10 with 4 HDD , but suddenly i got the warning like in the 1st post.
i'm not experience with raid controller replacement, i just ever experience when one hard drive fail , then replace with the new one.

Please advice.

Regards,

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
my experience with areca cards.

i have a machine with 12 hdd, it went dead about 15 years ago. raid-6 setup with 12* 250gb. no hot-spare. areca card had 16 sata ports, not a sff-ports. but real sata ports.

almost 1 year ago i bougth another areca card with 4* sff-8087 ports. connecting 12 hdd"s via 3* sff-8087-->> sata cables to totally different areca card, i could recover my files with a recovery program (getdataback). in windows 10.

i didn't change any raid-setting, neither any file syatem change. my raid-volume was 15 years ago not visible under windows xp. neither it was visable under windows 10.

i just swap areca cards, no raid rebuilding, run getdataback (it was ntfs file system) and recover my files.

i should say: give it a shot and try it.

your situation is not that bad, meaning you just replace your dead card with the same model.
i replaced my card with totally different model (but same brand) and i was able to recover my files.

just try it and keep us updated with your progress...

Ingenetic

Mar 6, 2020
my experience with areca cards.

i have a machine with 12 hdd, it went dead about 15 years ago. raid-6 setup with 12* 250gb. no hot-spare. areca card had 16 sata ports, not a sff-ports. but real sata ports.

almost 1 year ago i bougth another areca card with 4* sff-8087 ports. connecting 12 hdd"s via 3* sff-8087-->> sata cables to totally different areca card, i could recover my files with a recovery program (getdataback). in windows 10.

i didn't change any raid-setting, neither any file syatem change. my raid-volume was 15 years ago not visible under windows xp. neither it was visable under windows 10.

i just swap areca cards, no raid rebuilding, run getdataback (it was ntfs file system) and recover my files.

i should say: give it a shot and try it.

your situation is not that bad, meaning you just replace your dead card with the same model.
i replaced my card with totally different model (but same brand) and i was able to recover my files.

just try it and keep us updated with your progress...
Thanks ari2asem for your advice,

did anyone here having the same experience ? i mean how about to replacing the raid controller with the same model , and how it works ? it will have to rebuilding raid or run the controller will detect the existing raid, and system up normally detected all hdd ?

Please advice ,

Thank you

Regards,