Replacement build advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jul 29, 2018
Hi all,
just found this forum after a day of fruitlessly searching for answers regarding a small business server build. I deal with a lot of large sensitive data sets that needs encrypting and need to build out VMs for each client and I'm getting frustrated trying to find a reasonably priced solution.

I already have a Supermicro small 1u server with a XEON E3-1260LV5 and separately a Synology 8 bay NAS, but after some significant issues with the Synology (this is the 3rd one and I don't hold much hope of it lasting especially with the cpu bug that can brick it at any time) I'm after an integrated rack mountable server and storage array.

I'm not up to speed with a lot of the terminology these days so apologies - I used to build servers back in 2000, but that was a loong time ago.

I'm after a short depth (preferably) rack mount server that can take at least 12 disks with a combination of SSD and SATA. I want to set up a Hyper-V Server 2016 with the core VHDs sitting on the SSD portion and accessible data drives for large data storage on the SATA portion. Some of the large data storage needs to be accessible between VMs, but part needs to be provisioned on a case by case basis. Not sure whether I need a DAS, NAS or JBOD but the drives access as fast as possible due to calculations on the data sets.

I don't mind if I need to buy a new server with an improved processor or a storage array with a raid card. It just needs to be compact and available to purchase in Europe. I was looking at the Lenovo SA120 but it's really hard to find and not even sure I can raid it.

Any help gratefully received!

Reactions: Tha_14

billc.cn

Oct 6, 2017
The storage provision part can easily be handled by Storage Spaces or any software-defined-buzzword solution.

The short-depth chassis with 12 bays might be more difficult to find. If you don't want a "prosumer" brand like Synology, then you may have to hunt down some white box DAS and connect it to another server via SAS.

Jul 29, 2018
Thanks for your response. I'm guessing a DAS will allow me RAID the disks and to also share the disk space between VMs without having to provision network shares?

billc.cn

Oct 6, 2017
You can think of a DAS as local disks hosted in an external chassis. Most OSes do not treat them differently from local disks, so you can use them in whatever way you want.