replace Ts140 with Ryzen or Xeon?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

badsimian

Mar 13, 2017
I've currently got a Lenovo TS140. It is pretty decent, quiet and efficient. Got three drives, an SSD and a gfx card in it. I use unraid with a bunch of VMs and dockers but want a bit more grunt as it is limited to 32GB RAM and some of the VM scenarios require more than this.

so I was going down the custom build route and have already purchased a cheap (for the UK) Xeon E5-2683 v3 and was about to get an X99 board for it (ASRock taichi) with 64GB non-ECC RAM (I don't reckon I need it and there is large price differential in the UK right now)

Anyway the new Ryzens have me thinking, especially the 1700 overclocking so well. Having all those cores is all well and good but if they are all running then they are only doing 2GHz each. That Ryzen has 8 much higher clocked cores...I'm wondering if I might be better served with that. Newer chipsets and boards too.

Any thoughts?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Is it a home system with no production workloads? Are you gaming on it?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ryzen still takes more work to get things working smoothly. Xeon will be low headache. Ryzen better for gaming.

Also, at 64GB, the X99 is going to be a better bet. Overall, Ryzen memory controllers are still struggling with 4x 16GB.

Reactions: eva2000