Repair / replace SATA connector - HGST Ultrastar DC HC510?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

scp

Aug 5, 2015
I was upgrading a drive in my array and I accidentally bent back a SATA connector on one of my HGSTs. Its still hanging on and surprisingly functional, but very loose. I had to tape the connector in place since the array is in the middle of a rebuild. I dodged a bullet, but only temporarily.

I plan to swap out the drive from the array next. Is there any way to replace the control board / connectors on it with a donor? Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

It's an HGST Ultrastar DC He10 HC510 HUH721008ALE600, SATA.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
this can probably be done very carefully with a hot air soldering station if you have a donor board. you can't just swap the entire board.

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
I was supprised how 'easy' it was to replace the connector, I had a WD black with a broken sata connector and a friend had a drive with the same type connector he was throwing away so I decided to save my drive.

I took a small sharp plier and I cut of the old connector,doing it this way I didn't need alot of heat to get it off.
0.JPG1.JPG

Then I took a dremel and split the donor board in 3 pieces to make it easy to remove and save the connector of my friends drive.
2.JPG3.JPG

Cleaned the board before fitting the new connector.
4.JPGHPIM7610.jpg

And soldered it on.

5.JPG

I didn't use a hot air soldering station, just a Hakko 888, a dremel, some sharp pliers, flux.

Last edited: