Remotely controlling your 3d printer. How do you do it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Currently using Astroprint though looking into the best way to safely use octoprint remotely as well... astroprint is a stripped down version of octoprint aimed at user friendliness and not power users.

While I appreciate the snapshot features of astroprint... they stripped out mjpg_streamer and that prevents a number of things. Livestream from your webcam, and all the controls of the webcam. while I could do without pan, tilt and zoom I simply cannot stand out of focus.

Here is a 9hr time lapse astroprint. Jawa modeled by my gifted friend.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I love Octoprint. I use it on an Rpi2 with the Pi camera module.

For remote access, I use OpenVPN to connect to a server I have at home. Then it works just the same as it does on Wifi, though slower.
I bet I can set that up to connect to my buntu htpc... and then across the network to the pi.

IceDragon

Apr 14, 2016
NC
I'm really digging what I've read on the Octoprint software. Is there any good step by steps for a greenhorn like myself on the Linux/Pi side of things. I'm not new to that world, but I've slept a few times since I kind of fumbled my way around it. If not, no worries... I'll fumble around some more. lol

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
One of the cool things about Octoprint, is the support. For the Pi, there are pre-made images you write to an SD card. Pop it in the pi, boot, and you're running. I haven't ever used a CLI on that Pi, just never needed to. Just the web interface. Put a few settings in the web UI for the printer dimensions etc. Other than that, I drag and drop GCODE files to it, click print, monitor with the camera and the temp graphs.

Reactions: Patriot

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011

Octoprint supports this as well... and man this is nice.
I just need to figure out how to keep the bed temp up till I remove it.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
You can add some gcode to the end script in your slicer. I use something like this.

M140 S50 ; turn bed temp to ABS removal temp***
M84 ; steppers off
G4 S3600 ; Hold bed temp for one hour S<time in seconds>***
M140 S0 ;Shut off heated bed
G90 ; absolute positioning

Adjust the temperature and time as desired.

Reactions: Patriot

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
@IceDragon .. I'm sure there are plenty of good resources out there. I like the tutorials at Adafruit.com (very complete to get up and running fast) and they also have community forums if trouble arises, heavily geared towards tinkering/hacking their products (many of their tutorials and examples are Apple/Mac based, but in fairness also cover differences with Windows, and occasionally Linux as well.) Overview | OctoPrint on M3D | Adafruit Learning System

Reactions: IceDragon