Remote KVM / WS extender

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
I have just seen another thread go up asking close to what I am chasing but will post mine here as not to crap the other thread up. other thread is here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/kvm-kvmoverip-recommendations.7483/#post-66966

I need 4x Monitors from a big workstation fed via fibre along with USB 2.0 or better still, USB 3.0 to my office some 65 meters away. 1 of the monitors is hard to deal with. it is a 21:9 ultrawide and not many do that res.
The reason for this, I have a couple of 47U racks in my shed (my little DC) along with the rest of my gear. I am trying to get away from having beasties of WS's in my office that makes too much noise (I do a lot of Audio stuff, DAW) and heat along with the UPS's to keep em happy (Storm Season is here now).
Requirements:
  • 3x 1920 x 1080p monitors @ 60Hz
  • 1x 2560 x 1080p monitor @ 60Hz
  • 2x USB 3.0 or USB 2.0
  • Audio would be nice but this I will send via Fibre on SPDIF

65M of fibre, Multimode and Single mode is available. Copper is also there but not enough, only 4x CAT-6 and already in use.

I also need to be able to feed a mobile setup in a theatre, Racked WorkStation on stage up to the back of house where I run the controls. RDP and other remote view apps are too slow and lacking detail needed. WS does my audio grunt but is too big and noisy to have in house, it sits just outside and patched in.

Any Ideas?

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
I did see those units why searching over the weekend, the price killed it for me, by the time I put a few in, I may as well buy a new WS.

PCoIP is another area but sadly, it is like Betamax or DAT, great product, limited vendors and high prices have killed it before they took off.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Are those monitors DisplayPort? I don't know tons about it, other than the reading I did when I got a pair of 4K monitors and the hassles. But you can daisy chain DP, no? So if you could come out of a single DP and extend it over Cat5 to the other end, then daisy chain it to your 4 monitors....?

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Remote fx, if you install the virtual desktop role in server 2012 r2. Or use hdbaset l, except that's pretty darn pricy in itself

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
Are those monitors DisplayPort? I don't know tons about it, other than the reading I did when I got a pair of 4K monitors and the hassles. But you can daisy chain DP, no? So if you could come out of a single DP and extend it over Cat5 to the other end, then daisy chain it to your 4 monitors....?
The Ultrawide is a Dell and certainly is DP. I have had nothing but issues with DP though due too many standards and poorly designed plug/sockets that are worse that stupid HDMI, DVi ius the best and always will be. LOL.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
Remote fx, if you install the virtual desktop role in server 2012 r2. Or use hdbaset l, except that's pretty darn pricy in itself
As I mentioned already, RDP is not suitable for Audio applications, too slow and plays havoc with DAW software and audio devices. I already use RDP version 8+ and have played with RemoteFX, nice, just not suitable.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
I have done quite a bit of reading into this and had to disregard the idea because of using 4K monitors, couldn't really find any suitable (affordable) solutions to run 4K60 at anything over 3m. Corning do thunderbolt leads which may have worked but the cost was quite offputting. Thunderbolt™ - Optical Cables by Corning

To run 1080p60 I'd highly recommend HDBaseT/professional HDMI extenders, use HDBaseT throughout my home for the TVs and it's rock solid, theres no noticeable lag either. I personally run it over Cat5e, but fibre options exist (Gefen, LLC - 4K Ultra HD Extender over One Fiber w/ RS-232 and 2-way IR) which should be compatible with your existing fibre runs and run up to 4K by the looks of it!

USB3 there were a few options such as Winyao USB1000F-SX USB 3.0 1000Mbps Fiber Network Card w/ Fiber Module - White but I could never find any reviews for these types of devices.

Also just found this USB3 option USB 3.Optical™ - Optical Cables by Corning

I'd say it would definitely be possible but you best have deep products as this kit isn't cheap unless you can find it on eBay!

apnar

Mar 5, 2011
You could go thunderbolt to an local external PCIe enclosure with graphics card in it. That way you don't need to move the video just PCIe over thunderbolt, which should simplify driving your wide screen.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
Coincidentally saw news on this Thunderbolt 2 dock finally shipping shortly:

Sonnet - Echo 15+ Thunderbolt 2 Dock

They actually specifically call out the sort of use case you mention on the bottom of that page.

They also sell a 60m Thunderbolt 2 cable, but it'll set you back $1299 for the cable alone:

Sonnet Online Store
Not bad spotting, almost would suffice. Haven't use thunderbolt yet, have pretty much stayed with old-school for now.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
Thanks Jon, certainly is a shame. Fibre is so much cheaper these days and is slowly becoming the next most useful medium only second to copper. The prices on hardware are just insane but if the market gets to the magic "Critical Mass" and becomes flooded with options, so many businesses could do away with cluttered office/work spaces and keep all their gear in a managed server room without the costs of PCoIP. Everyone of my clients could use this tech.