Remote Desktop Session Hosts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Erling Johansen

Nov 24, 2018
Hi,

At work we run Citrix XenApp, and we use MCS (Machine Creation Services) to manage Machine Catalogs. It is easy to add servers to a machine catalog, and when we need to make changes to the master image (add/update software, patch management etc...) we update the machine catalog from Citrix Studio.

I plan to create a lab at home to test Remote Desktop Services from Microsoft. How is the creation and management of virtual terminal servers handled in RDS from Microsoft?

Best regards,
Erling Johansen

Lix

Aug 6, 2017
I have been running RDS on Windows 2012 R2 since it came out, it works fine. Citrix is a smoother ride I am guessing, but RDS works for the legacy apps we use and RDS desktops. You manage the solution via the Server Manager, not sure if it is supported via the new web manager. It was a fairly smooth setup via the Server Manager.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
How does the licensing/CALS work for RDS? I'm interested in possibly deploying it at work as well as we have some Windows 2019 servers that we need say 10-15 users to be able to access via RDP but we're currently limited to 2 concurrent connections obviously.

Lix

Aug 6, 2017
The RDS UsrCALs are 50 ish $/year a pice. Each user also has an Office E3+Windows CAL. I am not an expert in MS licensing, but this was sold to us by an official MS-partner.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
The RDS UsrCALs are 50 ish $/year a pice. Each user also has an Office E3+Windows CAL. I am not an expert in MS licensing, but this was sold to us by an official MS-partner.
All my users have E3 CALs already so you're saying it would just be $50 a year per RDS Usr CAL? That seems doable.