remote/cloud patch management

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
looking for any sort of experience regarding remote patch management solutions.

Company I work with want to do remote patch management as a service so im trying to look a bit into it.

We will be focusing on windows patch management at first. But was hoping for some sort of solution that puts a sort of proxy node on their hypervisor. Quite a bit of the customers have limited bandwidth available, so needing to download just once would be very nice.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I posted a bit about this a while ago, don't think anything too useful was about/around/posted re: windows patch caching.

If it's windows only I'd think there would be a license level that could/would/should accommodate this!

I'm following thread, with limited bandwidth I want to cache as many updates and patches as I can too!

Reactions: maze

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
WSUS for windows and whatever linux you use should have their own repository options that take care of the traffic topic... and to some degree management.

I have seen a product that does reports and security / patch checks that I liked the look of the demo but I can't remember right now what it was but did both windows and linux together.

maze

Apr 27, 2013

Gonna try and have a look at Ivanti

Had some sort of hope that I wouldnt need to deploy another windows vm on each site. To not have to pay for another license. I know, the price isnt that high, but a lot of these customers are quite small, which means they'll care about whatever extra cost there might be.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016

Gonna try and have a look at Ivanti

Had some sort of hope that I wouldnt need to deploy another windows vm on each site. To not have to pay for another license. I know, the price isnt that high, but a lot of these customers are quite small, which means they'll care about whatever extra cost there might be.
The way Ivanti/Shavlik works is you have a scanning server, and then you can have remote patch repositories. So, you may only need to set up a file share at those sites. Your scans will be slow across the WAN or internet connection or whatever it is, but you can schedule those scans.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
The way Ivanti/Shavlik works is you have a scanning server, and then you can have remote patch repositories. So, you may only need to set up a file share at those sites. Your scans will be slow across the WAN or internet connection or whatever it is, but you can schedule those scans.
Gonna get a demo session setup in a few weeks hopefully. Thanks for mentioning it :)

- any ideas on pricing?

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Gonna get a demo session setup in a few weeks hopefully. Thanks for mentioning it :)

- any ideas on pricing?
Sorry, but I have gov't pricing, so it would be quite a bit different from what someone else might get.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
fair enough - just wanted a ballpark figure to go by when talking to the bossman tomorrow :)

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
If im not mataken, you can estimate $50/year per server and $40/ year per workstation. There are also additional fees for additional management consoles.