Remote BIOS recovery with IPMI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RedAquas

Aug 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

So it turns out that after a wrong manipulation during a BIOS flashing my motherboard (supermicro H11 SSL ) hangs with the B2 status (legacy oprom initialization). I have tried almost everything to recover a working BIOS (flash with USB, CMOS clearing, ...), but nothing worked.

Do you think that it is possible to recover the BIOS by IPMI using the Supermicro Update Manager? Has anybody successfully tried that before? I am not very familiar with this procedure and I don't know if it would work with a corrupted BIOS.

Thanks for your help!

K D

Dec 24, 2016
It should work. I dislodged a network cable once while doing a remote bios update for a X11SPL-F board. I was able to restart the update.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Just try to hit the BMC ip address and the login page should load. AFAIK the BMC is essentially a completely separate subsystem (hence ability to control power states and turn server on even when "off")

RedAquas

Aug 26, 2018
When I turn on the computer the BMC ip address is displayed, but I cannot reach it with a browser. I tried "ipmiutil discover -b ip" while connected in a local network but again it did not work. I find that puzzling because as you said it is a separated system.