Relying Upon Hard Drive Service Contracts or Think Like a Cloud Provider

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Very nice article Will. Well written and well presented.

Regarding your experience after the Thailand flooding you said:
Clearly, this story is unlikely to repeat itself...
but the fact is that it is already repeating itself - right now. The Coronavirus quarantines in China have effectively shut down the tech manufacturing centers in the country for over a month already and, though they are starting to spin up again it will be many months before they even begin to recover. Major supply chains are compromised. With the South Korea situation escalating more supply issues are certain.

Maintaining self-warranty spares pools was the norm when I started in this industry. Modern supply chain management has largely made that a thing of the past. The Coronavirus reminds us that these methods depend upon predictable failure rates and secure supply.

Reactions: Patrick

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
The Coronavirus quarantines in China have effectively shut down the tech manufacturing centers in the country for over a month already
When I wrote the article, I hadn't even considered that angle. You're totally correct though; the virus may not affect hard drives in particular but it could have impact on any number of different components, especially if a chosen OEM only single-sources a particular piece of equipment.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The virus right now probably is just allowing people to run down inventory and besides a lot of people are hesitating to buy right now.

I am going to throw in another idea for people and I do this a lot.

server warranty usually covers items installed, so if you maintain servers (usually for first 3 or 4 years) then go with that.

Always keep spare drives anyway so you can collect the logs and request the RMA while you install your spare and then the new drive just goes on the shelf for next time.

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
At the MSP firm where I work, we've taken this "spares are better than warranties" philosophy to what I consider its logical extreme.

We haven't bought a server from a big-name OEM in our last two generational server upgrade cycles. Previously we had a rack full of Dell systems and sold them almost exclusively to our client base; now we have racks full of Supermicro equipment we purchased through a low-markup system integrator, and for the servers we resell to our clients I tend to assemble them myself. My company has taken on the role of providing the warranty for this equipment, both for our own infrastructure as well as what we resell. The reasoning was simple; for the cost of every Dell we were getting quoted, we could purchase two Supermicro-based whitebox systems of identical or better specifications. When we resell servers to clients, we tend now to sell them in pairs - one armed with full SSDs for their primary load, and an identical one but armed with mechanical storage at triple (or greater) the capacity of the primary server's array to act as the backup + disaster recovery host. Because these aren't Dell/HPE/Lenovo/whoever systems, we can still compete on pricing with our area competitors, while offering a significantly better disaster recovery scenario than any single server scenario could offer.

We used to buy Force10 (prior to them being purchased by Dell) switches - relatively high end expensive things at the time. The last time we upgraded core switching we bought relatively inexpensive Netgear stuff. Sure, nobody is coming onsite to replace one for us, but they were 1/3 the cost on a per-switch basis.

And finally, the last time we upgraded our own infrastructure in our datacenter we brought a few of the older systems back to the home office. We bought some inexpensive disks to put into them, consolidated RAM from other systems we were retiring and installed as much as possible into these servers. And now we have a small stable of frankensteined 'loaner' servers that we bring onsite to our clients for a variety of reasons. We use them in failure scenarios if clients don't have their own backup infrastructure, we use them in swing migrations and upgrade projects, and we use them in proof-of-concept demos for clients. Given their age they're not magnificently fast or anything, but almost anyone will accept 'working slowly' over 'dead in the water' when in a failure scenario.