Reliability Seagate 10TB IronWolf HDD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jfromeo

Nov 19, 2015
Good morning.

I am planning to build a 8-bay home server and I was looking to populate it with the brand new consumer HDD Seagate just released some weeks ago with capacities up to 10TB.

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/ironwolf/files/ironwolf-ds1904-3-1607us.pdf

How is the experience with those HDD? Or is it too early to answer the reliability question? Is there any feature on those that it should be avoided in a NAS escenario?

I do not get why those drives are much cheaper than the enterprise ones. Is it only for the warranty period?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

keybored

May 28, 2016
How is the experience with those HDD? Or is it too early to answer the reliability question? Is there any feature on those that it should be avoided in a NAS escenario?
You won't find any reliability data on them because Seagate just launched them a few weeks back.
IronWolf drives are marketed as NAS drives, so you're OK with using them in a NAS with up to 8 drives (according to the datasheet). The 10TB version is Helium-filled.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
For any 8 drive solution and especially for large 8TB Drives due to long rebuild times for most use cases you want at least to be fault tolerant of 2 failures. for example, RAID-Z2 or RAID-6, ...

I would guess following the HGST reports the 10 TB Helium drives would a notable reliability edge over the 8TB versions. Depending on your use case this may not matter or be worth the price premium.