Relatively new Supermicro JBOD Power Board - CSE-PTJBOD-CB3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TaCom

May 12, 2017
Hello thx for the fast answer,

i tried to shorten the pin 1+2 with an jumper, was the same didn't start.

I think yes that the PMBus is correct connected, i think you cant put it in in the wrong way.

i am at the moment at work, i will make dome pictures when iam at home.

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
My guess is that if you power the board and see the network led lights, that you probably just don't have the power switch jumpers set right. Be careful on the numbering and direction of the pins, it's easy to get confused and pick the wrong ones.

TaCom

May 12, 2017
Thx for the replys,

it was my own, foult, sometimes you have to be a bit patiently.

you have to wait that the LED LE1 starts to blink, then the board is working.

Now all works fine.

Thx again

Andy

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Move the other metal stands that come on the bottom of the SM chassis to where you need them :) That's always what I do atleast.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think he means the mounting plate or what it is under the board and not the mounting standoffs

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I think he means the mounting plate or what it is under the board and not the mounting standoffs
Never needed a mounting plate... unsure what that would be needed for.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I thought the mounting bracket was only for the SAS3 expander chassis types and not the SAS2 ones...or was it the other way round....can't remember now. It's not dreadfully important, just mount it however you feel, with or without the bracket in such a way that it can't come loose or get in your way later :)

HomeLabber

Dec 13, 2015
When I installed mine - I just mounted it using one of the existing standoffs where I had removed the cb2 board (so it wasn't screwed down through all of the holes). I found the pictures but I'm having a hard time uploading from my phone while I'm out and about - I can upload when I get back to the hotel later if there is interest

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
When I installed mine - I just mounted it using one of the existing standoffs where I had removed the cb2 board (so it wasn't screwed down through all of the holes). I found the pictures but I'm having a hard time uploading from my phone while I'm out and about - I can upload when I get back to the hotel later if there is interest
I would appreciate that. I'm converting an SC846 to a JBOD, so all I've got right now are the motherboard standoffs. Seeing how SM does it would be a decent help.

edit: Update! Got my board in, and it does NOT include the mounting bracket. I had to use two of the unusually-sized standoffs that came with my SC846 (That go in the "A" and "P" holes) to mount the board. It's only secured by two screws right now... Not ideal.

Last edited:

HomeLabber

Dec 13, 2015
Apologies for the post necro! I never posted my install images from when I converted my JBOD from the CB2 to the CB3. Someone messaged me about my install and I wanted to share these in case someone finds them helpful. Hopefully these help folks out - pics are both before and after I swapped the board out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz

ldz

Jan 11, 2021
Anyone using this board with non-supermicro backplanes?
Fan speed control is definitely not working without the I2C cable.
Wonder if the IPMI will work or not.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Can anyone get a SAS2 backplane to show sensor data on the CB3 with latest 1.33 firmware? Mine just says SAS3 in all of the listed sensors with NA values. I tried changing JP5 to pins 2-3 and also no jumper (pins 3-4), but it doesn't show any SAS2 sensor data.

HomeLabber

Dec 13, 2015
Can anyone get a SAS2 backplane to show sensor data on the CB3 with latest 1.33 firmware? Mine just says SAS3 in all of the listed sensors with NA values. I tried changing JP5 to pins 2-3 and also no jumper (pins 3-4), but it doesn't show any SAS2 sensor data.
I can confirm that I still get sensors on 1.33 with a sas2 backplane.

BlueSpaceCanary

Mar 15, 2022
I'm also having trouble convincing the CB3 to switch out of SAS3 mode. I've tried JP5 with 1-2, 2-3, and open, but no dice. I'm using it with a BPN-SAS-826A, but it seems like the problem is on the control board's side, because I can't even get it to show null readings for the SAS2 sensors, it always shows the (null) SAS3 sensors.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
It only works for specific sas2 backplanes and sas3, according to support

Do you have the sensor cable plugged in correctly?

BlueSpaceCanary

Mar 15, 2022
Yep, they're cbl-cdat-0601s so they can only plug in when oriented correctly & I've checked that they're fully inserted, tried multiple cables, etc. I haven't been able to find any docs one way or the other on whether the -8x6A backplanes are supported, but given that they have the same 4-pin physical i2c ports (with the 4th pin unused) my default assumption is that they're compatible.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Yep, they're cbl-cdat-0601s so they can only plug in when oriented correctly & I've checked that they're fully inserted, tried multiple cables, etc. I haven't been able to find any docs one way or the other on whether the -8x6A backplanes are supported, but given that they have the same 4-pin physical i2c ports (with the 4th pin unused) my default assumption is that they're compatible.
unfortunately not the case - only certain backplanes supported for health monitoring, regardless if they have an i2c port or not. i ran into the same problem with my bpn-sas2-836el1