Reinstall OS with existing raid5 set

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

peder5

Oct 13, 2011
Hi,
I have a win2008 server with 2 raidsets on. 1 which is a mirror and hosts the OS, and one which hosts a data partition. This data partition is a RAID5 with promise fasttrack TX4310 controller.

My issue is that my mirror is gone, and I will have to reinstall windows. I plan to install windows 2008R2 (or windows 2008 if it makes things easier), and my question is if the existing RAID5 set will still be valid after reinstall of OS. As for now, I suppose that the RAID5 is OK, but since I'm not able to start windows, I can't get to this partition.

the TX4310 is a software raid, and I'm a little bit worried that it i will need to reinitialize from within the new OS, and that existing data in this raidset is gone.

Could anyone please advise me on this issue. Any information is highly appriciated.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
The RAID5 array will still be valid as the Controller shows this to the OS.
So as long as you don't change the controller your RAID array will be available to any OS you install.

Even if the controller is a Partial Software RAID (there is a controller) its still all done via the BIOS
The controller displays the array to the OS and the CPU does any XOR calculations for RAID 5

Last edited:

peder5

Oct 13, 2011
ok, thanks for your information. I'm still worried, cause the bios already controls the raid controller that is integrated on the motherboard. When the server starts up, I only have the option do configure the RAID that controls the mirror, and this RAID controller is integrated with the MotherBoard.

If however, I disable raid functionality on motherboard, then I'm able to configure the Promise controller during startup. But, I assume you are right, and I think I'm going to try to install win2008R2, and I'll see what happens. If data is gone, I'm in deeeeep shit:)

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
You should be able to at boot time Press CRTL+F to enter the TX4310 BIOS (may need to set system BIOS to RAID mode)
Here the drives should show and you can create/remove Arrays etc

The RAID controller (even Partial Software) has it's own BIOS which gets loaded after the system BIOS as an extension.
So at boot time the drives/Arrays will be available to what ever OS.

peder5

Oct 13, 2011
Well, actual, I have to disable the motherboard RAID controller in order to be able to hit CTRL-F and control the Promise controller. But, I supppose that this should not be neccessary anyway, since the promise RAID should be OK, and should really not be touched. I guess it would be OK just to reinstall windows on the mirror and then install the promise drivers and webpam. Hopefully I will then find my RAID5 partition there as usual?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
What ever you do the RAID5 array needs to be on the same controller it was made/used on.
It will most certainly not work say on an Intel IHCR RAID Mobo

Best thing to do is Boot the Win2k8 install DVD, you might need the drivers on a USB stick and press F6 to install them.
Go to full install (not update) then you should see a list of HDD available
If the RAID drives show then it should be quite safe.

peder5

Oct 13, 2011
Well, nothing has changed to the RAID5, neither disks or controller. I will install win28K on the motherboards mirror raid, and then install drivers for the promise after I have installed windows. I do not need access to the Promise RAID5 during setup, as the installation of windows is purly on the mirror set hosted on RAID controller on motherboard.

Also: Thanks for taking you time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it:)

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
No probs, was in the same boat a few years back and someone took the time then :D

You can just test it with booting to the Win2k8 DVD and see, before you do an install, all you possibly need if the DVD has no driver for the promise card is put it on a USB stick.

peder5

Oct 13, 2011
Right, that's a good idea. This really gives me the opportunity to verify that my RAID5 is OK before doing any changes. Thanks a lot, I'll try that first of all:)

peder5

Oct 13, 2011
I'll loaded setup from cd, and then loaded drivers for the promise controller. Then it shows up, but have 0mb free space, and is also marked as Offline. Any idea what that actual mean?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I think something is not right here.
The arrays should be online unless something is causing it not to be.

Boot to CTRL+F first then the DVD, I think the other RAID controller is taking over and disabling the Fastrac possibly ?

peder5

Oct 13, 2011
problem is that I'm unable to boot to CTLR+F without disabling the motherboard raid controller. Anyway, I went into detail, and windows had the opportunity to bring them online again. I therefore desided that this was probably OK, and started installation of windows on the mirror RAID. I'll let that one finish up, and hopefully I will find my RAID5 set there also....:)

peder5

Oct 13, 2011
YES!:):):) Reinstalled with W2008R2, and then installed FastTrack drivers, and voila, my old partition showed up, nice as always:) Thanks a lot for your help:)