Regarding Rack Rails.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
I have noticed that vendors tend to offer Rack Rails for mounting their systems under their own names ( quite often at inflated prices ), I have also noticed that thre are rails that have been advertised as being universal.

Can you use rack inner/outer rails from one vendor with those of another and this whole thing is just a huge money making scheme OR
are there major differences which break compatability between vendors?

How universal are universal rack rails - are they actually universal or are there exceptions?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The universal ones tend to only work on generic cases that have holes drilled on the side for them. They're not going to fit Dell, HPE, Supermicro, etc. Quality tends to be nowhere as good as the OEM specific ones, but there tend to be no great options for generic cases.

Reactions: Falloutboy

metag

Apr 26, 2016
Also OEM rails usually won't fit chassis from other brands. IMHO "Universal" rail is a workaround when you cannot get an OEM one.

Reactions: Falloutboy

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Thanks @BlueFox and @metag I will attempt to order rails from SuperMicro for their gear but I might have to order generic outer rails for my SX6036 as I believe the product codes from Mellanox like the one I have : MSX6036F-1BRR actually include the inner and outer rails but in this case being brought from an eBay auction only the rail attached to the switch is included not the part which is attached to the rack.

I am wondering if getting the full rail from Mellanox will be difficult.