Refurb 3TB Ultrastar: $55 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Never fails to amuse me when someone says brand XYZ is no good / rubbish etc. Yes, we may all of had bad experiences with Brand Y Model A etc.. I am almost 60, and to relate to things that happened 10+ years ago is generally futile. The world changes, Technology changes, CEO change, CTO change, the competitiveness changes. Similarly at work, things that we used 30 years ago, can or maybe irrelevant to our work today, as so many things are changed..
I had heard so many people bad mouthing seagate drives (often with a good amount of emotion attached), went out and bought 12 to run and see. 2 yrs later no issues.
I work hard to keep an open mind and keep old prejudices out of my decisions, as they can only lower than value, as they can be based on old knowledge which can be often irrelavant today..

Recommend You try some HGST drives to overcome your deep set prejudice.. Have had 6 HGST 3TB 0f1246 models (ultrastar running 24/7 for almost 5 yrs ), but that wont necessarily make my buy them in the future..

Good Luck Tom5051
I might be an "oldie" but with age comes experience. This your first or second year in IT?

Reactions: Ajgoyt

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I might be an "oldie" but with age comes experience. This your first or second year in IT?
Being facetious adds little value to the conversation.
The world changes.. There are so many examples of manufacturers, who did not exist years ago or offered unreliable products, but today their products are reliable.. Ie reliable does not mean high end..

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
I had 1/40 4TB seagate fail, 0/6 6TB HGST fail, 0/2 3TB WD fail and not sure about the new 32 2TB WD refurbs that I bought.

And just like 4004 said, if I were to consider buying refurbs, I would definitely like HGST or WD Red/Black drives over Seagates. Definitely not touching Toshiba yet...

Reactions: vBuild2BAU

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Got a chuckle at the guy that has bought probably like 5 hdd over 30 years saying his anecdotal evidence has more weight than backblaze +20k drivers over several years. I think he is just trolling all of us idk.
I'm starting to think the same thing from a few threads I have read recently :-D wink wink

HGST FTW w/in the last 7-10 years I don't care what anyone says! :p

Reactions: poto

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
th a good amount of emotion attached), went out and bought 12 to run and see. 2 yrs later no issues.
Good Luck Tom5051
I have had stupendously bad luck with seagate... So far I have bought only the lemon models with 25-50% failure rates in the past 20 years... Get burned, wait 5 years before buying... get burned... wait 5yrs... etc lol.

Reactions: Cheddoleum

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I bought 5x Seagate IronWolf 8TB to be used with RAID6 or ZFS RAIDZ2.
I'm hoping these aren't too bad compared to HGST. I do also have very good experience with HGST, have 4 of the 4TB NAS version + 2 of 3TB NAS running in a server with hundreds of users syncing data, no issues after 3 years with 4TB. 3TB were just put to use, been idling for a year so too early to tell. I bought Seagate 8TB mainly because of a recently lowered price here locally.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Hitachi's are #1 in my book - The usually are the most expensive too but i had 8x2TB for over 5 years and i think only 1/8 ever failed (24x7 running) - and still going!
Seagate NAS Drives - i have had so-so luck with for the last 4 years i have replaced 3 out of 8 - but cheap in cost
Western Digital - Have used many times, bout the same as Seagate...

I'd put my faith behind Hitachi as a company prior to the WD Acquisition, now unsure... Reminds me too much of Maxtor/Seagate in the good ol days...

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
I have a 2tb Hitachi server pull, and somehow got a 4tb server pull from some bizarre company (despite the sticker, it's a Hitachi drive), and wouldn't have qualms over getting more server pull drives. They run cooler than my enterprise Toshiba's, and all 4 drives work fine.
But I also have ridiculous redundancy that others may not have, and can afford to gamble like this

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
My 2 arrived today. One has 15k hours and the other 18k. Both tested perfect. :)