Redundant PSUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What would you like to see with this kind of article?

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I realize I'm not the OP, but I do agree with him. Here's a couple ideas:

It'd be nice to see some sort of article which explains the mounting mechanisms, both between the modules and the container, and between the container and the chassis. (For example, can you replace a 2-in-1-redundant PSU with a non-redundant PSU? Are the mounting holes the same? Is there a standard-sized module that can be used in any container?)

A comparison of noise levels for several PSUs would be nice.

Maybe some sort of "what makes a server power supply better than a consumer one?" bit.

Compare 2+1 units to standard dual PSUs. (If I recall correctly, my SuperMicro "triple redundant" PSU required 2 units plugged in to meet the rated power)

Talk a bit about airflow requirements, fan sizes, maybe do a torture test or two...

What are the odd "extra wires" on some redundant PSUs used for? (My SuperMicro had a super-small four pin connector that I've never seen before!)

Can you buy replacement modules without a support contract?

Are ATX replacement redundant PSUs like this Athena Power any good?

Why would I want a redundant PSU in a home environment?

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
Silence :D

Possibly a supermicro compatibility matrix of what can fit in what case unofficially, I'm sure this could be done by users experience and reports on noise levels, what can and can't fit etc.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010

It'd be nice to see some sort of article which explains the mounting mechanisms, both between the modules and the container, and between the container and the chassis. (For example, can you replace a 2-in-1-redundant PSU with a non-redundant PSU? Are the mounting holes the same? Is there a standard-sized module that can be used in any container?)

Maybe some sort of "what makes a server power supply better than a consumer one?" bit.

Compare 2+1 units to standard dual PSUs. (If I recall correctly, my SuperMicro "triple redundant" PSU required 2 units plugged in to meet the rated power)

Talk a bit about airflow requirements, fan sizes, maybe do a torture test or two...

What are the odd "extra wires" on some redundant PSUs used for? (My SuperMicro had a super-small four pin connector that I've never seen before!)

No offense, that would take like a month to put together :)

odditory

Dec 23, 2010

No offense, that would take like a month to put together :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Silence :D

Possibly a supermicro compatibility matrix of what can fit in what case unofficially, I'm sure this could be done by users experience and reports on noise levels, what can and can't fit etc.
Tackling that problem slightly differently.

Lots of info requested up there. Will at least put a starter piece on the whiteboard then work from there.