Red Hat Goes Full IBM and Says Farewell to CentOS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

elag

Dec 1, 2018
Red Hat made the decision to effectively end the CentOS project by curtailing future updates and support for CentOS 8 and anything beyond

The post Red Hat Goes Full IBM and Says Farewell to CentOS appeared first on ServeTheHome.

Continue reading...
I am really wondering what this means for RHEL. To me it looks that IBM wants RHEL to focus on other products that support the IBM product portfolio. RHEL is part of what they got when they bought RedHat but was more of a burden than advantage for them. RHEL is for IBM only interesting as a cloud base, nothing more. So I guess that they may be going for a much more streamlined RHEL development that milks the cow as much as possible without investing too much more in it. If I were a RHEL shop I would probably start thinking about a migration strategy.

What is happening to CentOS maybe the writing on the wall for RHEL.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
What is IBM+X? Answer: IBM. As predicted by some old dogs on YCombinator HN, it would take a year or two until IBM would start meddling with Red Hat affairs. Well, takeover was completed 1.5 years ago, so spot on right there. Watch key tech driving people jump ship in a bit...

For personal use I haven't touched a corporate-interest-driven Linux distribution in like 20 years. Including Ubuntu, after they started showing me the Amazon logo on the desktop.